Human Capital forum is the place for positive industry interaction and welcomes your professional and informed opinion.

Stop searching for the purple squirrel

Notify me of new replies via email
HC Online | 24 Jan 2013, 12:00 AM Agree 0
The hiring formula dictates that HR and hiring managers attempt to find the perfect candidate to fill a vacant role. But according to one HR pro, you’ve got it all wrong.
  • Tony van Rensburg | 24 Jan 2013, 03:37 PM Agree 0
    Yes, I agree. The purple squirrel is like a mirage and even when you think you have found one, you can't nail them down and other employers will also want to feed the squirrel. My approach has been - 70% fit to job/person spec is acceptable and 80% is a great outcome.
  • Brian D | 24 Jan 2013, 03:43 PM Agree 0
    How perfectly true, now just to spread the word.
  • Peter A | 24 Jan 2013, 04:54 PM Agree 0
    All correct, provided you have the attitude 100% correct otherwise the Line Manager and HR will spend many hours on performance management.
  • Andrew McLEOD | 24 Jan 2013, 09:01 PM Agree 0
    Could not agree more...after all what is a probation period for ? If the fit, feel and calibre are right, drive the car and send it for modifications as necessary...After all if you don't even start the race, how can you possibly achirve a win ? Gladly, there are some recruiters that actually get it... All be it only a few... Thanks to Lance for memorable and poignant analogy of majority Australian recruitment absurditity.
  • Glenda May | 31 Jan 2013, 09:39 AM Agree 0
    Thanks Lance...agree. What will help is more time up front with the panel agreeing on what exactly do we need -in terms of skill, will and fit. What does a good candidate look like? ( the 'must-haves') And what is 'nice-to-have' the icing on the cake? Also consider which skills can be trained versus what we need the candidate to do to hit the ground running.
Post a reply