Human Capital forum is the place for positive industry interaction and welcomes your professional and informed opinion.

Solving the dynamic riddle of workplace bullying

Notify me of new replies via email
HC Online | 30 Sep 2014, 09:47 AM Agree 0
If it’s not up to HR to solve issues associated with workplace bullying, then whose job is it?
  • Linda Pettersson | 30 Sep 2014, 11:42 AM Agree 0
    Of course HR has a role. Who trains the managers to deal with complaints of bullying and harassment? Who has responsibility for developing a culture which supports zero tolerance for bullying and harassment? Surely it's HR's role to take the lead here, with the demonstrated support of the CEO.
  • caca | 30 Sep 2014, 03:19 PM Agree 0
    I agree with this statement:
    “Otherwise, HR ends up in a situation whereby they are expected to correct the transgressions of others, who are not being held accountable or being made responsible for preventing, detecting, reporting and resolving workplace bullying, and other forms of counterproductive workplace behaviours.”

HR 'not being involved, have enough rules/guidelines, not enough training' gets used as a scapegoat for others' behaviour.
  • Bernie Althofer | 01 Oct 2014, 09:22 AM Agree 0
    The above article is from an extensive article about accountability, responsibility, performance management and bullying.

Line managers and supervisors play a key role in the day to day management of people under their control. They may seek advice and support from HR in relation to strategies that can be implemented. However, if a manager is paid to manage people, they also have a key role in ensuring that there is a safe workplace for all and that includes preventing, detecting, reporting and resolving bullying (and other forms of counterproductive workplace behaviours).
  • caca | 01 Oct 2014, 12:35 PM Agree 0
    Well said Bernie.
  • Bernie Althofer | 01 Oct 2014, 01:58 PM Agree 0
    Over the years, I have seen and heard of too many people in managerial and/or supervisory positions who find the people part of their job too hard. All they want to do is pass the issue to an already overworked HR and expect HR to save them.

In my view, when there is a 'cascading' impact flowing from the CEO down through the line managers holding them both accountable and responsible, they start to sit up and take notice and understand they actually get paid to do this type of work.

Some people seem to think that HR can be everywhere solving everyone's issues and problems. There are times when managers and supervisors have to take responsibility for what is happening on their watch. If they don't know how to handle the matter, then seek advice. If they want to avoid taking action for whatever reason, then perhaps they need some coaching or development to help them make decisions.

I saw an article recently that suggested that only one in ten managers could do a good job when it came to the people part. The same article indicated that two in ten could get by with coaching and support, whilst the other 7 out of ten should not be let near people.

If an organisation has this type of issue, questions need to be asked and some hard decisions need to be made. Given that the 7 out of ten might already in management, there has been a considerable investment already made in them. If these people lack 'management skills or abilities' then who knows what type of issues HR are going to trying to resolve in the years to come, unless those people are provided with coaching, support etc, or in some cases, managed out of their organisation if they cannot change.
Post a reply