Human Capital forum is the place for positive industry interaction and welcomes your professional and informed opinion.

Social networking no threat to productivity: Report

Notify me of new replies via email
HC Online | 22 Apr 2010, 12:00 AM Agree 0
Flying in the face of general popular opinion, a new report has found that social networking should be encouraged by employers, instead of being banished as a threat to productivity.

• Kevin Howard | 22 Apr 2010, 04:24 PM Agree 0
    I find your headline a little odd given the following excerpt from your article;

"The project also identified that up to one-fifth of employees can be regarded as 'highly distracted' by their web access, spending up to two hours a day on the web. If this behaviour is not relevant to their role and responsibilities, then the consequence must be a certain decline in productivity."
  • Rob Scott | 22 Apr 2010, 04:56 PM Agree 0
    As I read the article it reminded me of how organisations overreacted with "spending too much time on the phone for personal reasons", then it was "e-mail will slow down productivity", then "access to the internet will kill productivity", now there is a storm over social media's - come on guys every new technology had brought productivity increases and so will social medias
  • Michael Stone | 22 Apr 2010, 04:56 PM Agree 0
    I agree Kevin.
    It could be argued that the benefit (in terms of staff morale) of allowing staff to use social media outweighs the productivity "gain" from banning such media. And of course any productivity gain could be offset by a subsequent fall in morale.
    However, where does one draw the line in terms of time spent online - I'm sure this is just the beginning of such research, and it will be interesting to see what unfolds.
    It is also clear that social networking can be of value and is to be encouraged where employees' roles are related and relevant. An example would be someone in the recruitment industry using LinkedIn as a way to source potential candidates.
    Michael Stone,
  • Brent Williams | 22 Apr 2010, 05:01 PM Agree 0
    McDonald added: "Employee access to the web, and indeed social networking, can add tremendous value to a business and its IP assets. The employee's enthusiasm for social networking can significantly benefit both parties."

Although I agree with and am encouraged by this comment - It is not explained enough. Under rigorous critique, how would you explain the benefits?
  • Matt Poland | 23 Apr 2010, 08:37 AM Agree 0
    who wants to be my Facebook friend :)
  • Lisa Valentine | 24 Apr 2010, 10:14 AM Agree 0

Now, for those of you whose companies or workplaces are blocking or threatening to block access to social media apps, here's na helpful resource. It's a whitepaper called “To Block or Not. Is that the question?”

It has lots of insightful and useful information about identifying and controlling Enterprise 2.0 apps (Facebook, Twitter, Skype, SharePoint, etc.)

Share it with the IT Dept.
  • Colin Johnson, MailGuard | 29 Apr 2010, 02:56 PM Agree 0
    Great to read all your comments and feedback, a copy of the full report can be downloaded here:
Post a reply