Human Capital forum is the place for positive industry interaction and welcomes your professional and informed opinion.

Social media and personal branding polarises HR

Notify me of new replies via email
HC Online | 17 Jul 2012, 12:00 AM Agree 0
Be warned: you will soon be asking candidates for their Klout score, and will of course have to know your own, too.
  • Kate Connellan | 18 Jul 2012, 04:52 PM Agree 0
    I'm getting a bit tired of seeing articles espousing the benefits of checking a candidate's social media pages, and of those smug managers who tell you they have researched a candidate online. I think we're missing the point. Firstly, I am sure there has been discussion in recent cases about people's right to a private life, separate from work - I think we will see this grow over time, and it's important to respect these rights.
    Secondly, some of the most capable people I worked with in the construction industry went by the motto "work hard, play hard" - their wild weekends gave them a break from thinking about work and helped prevent burnout. They were also highly social individuals whose relationship building skills enabled great results.
    Finally, the 'HR people researching candidates on FB' does not tally with other studies that say an average of 6 seconds is spent looking over a candidate's resume. If we don't even have time to look at what the candidate does tell us, are we really spending time trolling through their pages online?! I think it's just media hype.
Post a reply