Human Capital forum is the place for positive industry interaction and welcomes your professional and informed opinion.

Smokers need not apply

Notify me of new replies via email
HC Online | 20 Aug 2012, 12:00 AM Agree 0
The president of the Chamber of Commerce and Industry Queensland (CCIQ) has come out swinging, sparking an age-old debate by accusing smokers of costing the state “millions and millions” of dollars in lost productivity each year.
  • Dan | 20 Aug 2012, 02:42 PM Agree 0
    Just wanted to question Peter Vitalie on his comments around "you can request employees do not leave the premises while on a break" - i find it hard to believe that this would legally stand up. I understand he is phrasing it as a request but in a time where employees are concerned with job security they may be more likely to tow the company line
  • Jason Knight | 20 Aug 2012, 02:42 PM Agree 0
    What happens when you get low to high management people who smoke?
  • Jo | 20 Aug 2012, 04:27 PM Agree 0
    "several 15 minute breaks a day..."
    As a smoker, I can say it does NOT take 15 minutes to have a cigarette!
    Personally, I fail to see why it's ok for one worker to go to the kitchen and make themselves a tea, but it's considered bad for productivity to switch the kitchen for outside and the tea for a cigarette.
  • Robin Pollock | 21 Aug 2012, 11:04 AM Agree 0
    There doesn't appear to be any consideration given to the frightful smell of smokers - they reek, their clothes reek and with open desk planning and desk size decreasing by the day, the impact of a co-worker who happens to sit next to a smoker can be very off putting - much the same as the effect of strong perfume which also sets off allergies in some. Employees are not permitted to drink alcohol during work time, so why not smoking. This is a no brainer.
  • Jo | 21 Aug 2012, 01:43 PM Agree 0
    By Robin Pollock's reasoning, all smelly foods are also banned from the workplace...
  • Chris Gillis | 22 Aug 2012, 02:02 PM Agree 0
    Robin Pollock, why stop there? We should ban all drugs of any kind from the work place. I'm sick of being surrounded by caffeine junkies and being subjected to the always present aroma of coffee. Not to mention their jittiery movements and the non stop clinking of spoons stirring mugs.

I for one welcome our new HR overlords.
Post a reply