Human Capital forum is the place for positive industry interaction and welcomes your professional and informed opinion.

Silent workplace ostracism more harmful than outright bullying

Notify me of new replies via email
HC Online | 11 Jun 2014, 11:49 AM Agree 0
If someone is being ignored at work, they’re more likely to drop out of your company than if they’re being flagrantly harassed.
  • Deb | 11 Jun 2014, 12:35 PM Agree 0
    I find this one divided on gender lines. Women are very likely to use exclusion as a punishment and in my experience male managers don't see it as a problem. I had an office manager barely speak to me for over 3 months (lots of "Sue, please ask Debbie if she has done the banking" - while I was sitting at the next desk) - it was very uncomfortable and made it hard to come to work but the GM didn't see it as an issue; he basically told me to get over it.
  • Adam | 11 Jun 2014, 01:37 PM Agree 0
    Deb, I agree up to a point. However, males can also feel very isolated when excluded. I think it does start way back in school; when it was simply devastating "to be sent to Coventry" (using the British idiom here) or deliberately ostracised. It is bullying, pure and simple. Your GM was wrong.
Post a reply