Human Capital forum is the place for positive industry interaction and welcomes your professional and informed opinion.

Should you tell your employees to work less?

Notify me of new replies via email
HC Online | 10 Dec 2013, 12:24 AM Agree 0
Checking work email from home is becoming ubiquitous, but is this a bad habit HR should stamp-out?
  • Al | 10 Dec 2013, 04:22 PM Agree 0
    To risk sounding cynical I wonder how many of these large companies are telling people to log off and not work long hours so they look like they're saying the right thing but the reality of the company culture might require employees to feel compelled to stay back or check emails before bed?
    That's my cynical question...in terms of the practicality of HR delivering the message to "work less", I think that in some businesses this may be viewed as "HR doesn't understand what's happening in the business right now, we're under pressure/HR is out of touch etc etc". For me I believe this message to work less should come right from the top (and it does where I work). If the CEO sets the standard and communicates expectations around checking emails etc then this can filter down through each level of management. Every once in a while our CEO sends out a reminder to all staff around his expectations about ensuring work-life balance.
  • WA | 10 Dec 2013, 06:33 PM Agree 0
    There isn't many CEO's like that. It is also myr responsibility to look after myself! Like it or not, we have to look after our own wellbeing. After work my blackberry's emails are on silent. If anyone needs me urgently they should call. I do tell people they need to look after their health.
Post a reply