Human Capital forum is the place for positive industry interaction and welcomes your professional and informed opinion.

Should you really be giving feedback to failed applicants?

Notify me of new replies via email
HC Online | 22 Jan 2015, 09:00 AM Agree 0
In ideal world, we'd all give feedback to our failed candidates – but is it really worth it? It seems industry experts have differing opinions.
  • Lisa | 22 Jan 2015, 01:36 PM Agree 0
    I can certainly see the point of both contributors to this article however I think it is courteous and generally good practice to give concise feedback when asked even if its as simple blanket statement such as 'your application was strong and you interviewed well however the successful candidate had more appropriate skills and experience for this role.' I don't believe there is any requirement to go into any further detail.
  • Jenny | 22 Jan 2015, 03:12 PM Agree 0
    Job hunting recently for the first time in about 7 years was a shock to the system for me. I was amazed and appalled at so many organisations that don't even acknowledge your application, let alone provide any feedback on why you weren't successful.

I'm a HR professional, I've always done this and always tried to provide constructive advice to encourage applicants.

I think failure to acknowledge applications and to provide feedback to unsuccessful applicants is 'bad business'. It's not the first impression I want my organisation to give. Every organisation should remember that every applicant is also a potential customer or client.
  • Anon | 23 Jan 2015, 12:58 PM Agree 0
    Of course Carol Quinn is going to state that it's a `win win' She's selling the training package to go with it.
  • Amanda Rochford | 28 Jan 2015, 12:11 PM Agree 0
    The requirement to provide feedback makes certain that the interviewers are aware of the reasons they have made the decisions they have made. If they cant explain their decision to the applicants (successful and unsuccessful) then they need to go back a step and reconsider.
  • Sarah | 16 Feb 2015, 09:28 AM Agree 0
    I make the effort to give feedback to unsuccessful applicants whenever they ask. Following general feedback that they're not successful I offer them the opportunity to seek further specific feedback if they would like it. Those who are disgruntled and likely to argue usually choose not to (so do the ones who perhaps already feel they know where they went wrong). Those who do ask for further feedback are usually very grateful and appreciate that I've taken the extra time to assist them. I recently received a thank you email from someone I gave feedback to a month or so ago. She emailed to thank me again and say that my feedback had helped her secure a new role. That's rewarding enough to make it worthwhile I think
Post a reply