Human Capital forum is the place for positive industry interaction and welcomes your professional and informed opinion.

Should HR go for after-work drinks?

Notify me of new replies via email
HC Online | 18 Nov 2015, 07:35 AM Agree 0
You want to unwind as much as anybody else but your employees may feel like you’re watching them, warns one industry VP.
  • | 19 Nov 2015, 01:38 PM Agree 0
    Oh my, 'tis a sad indictment if any HR practitioner cannot attend an after hours work event and not feel pressured to leave or under attack albeit covert.
    I have never had such a feeling - this is where a lot of good will is developed. Perhaps what we perceive is going on is not actual reality.
  • | 23 Nov 2015, 03:37 PM Agree 0
    Absolutely agree with the previous comment. Our job is about building credibility, and relationships and what better place to do this than socially?

I want people in the organisation to say "thank goodness HR are here - those guys don't take themselves too seriously!"...
  • | 24 Nov 2015, 12:28 PM Agree 0
    I am agreeing with first 2 comments. It is a sad thing to keep relationships superficial. In order to get the best out of your team and build culture within an organisation you need to be able to relate to the lives of your co-workers.
  • PPL | 26 Nov 2015, 10:26 PM Agree 0
    Like with any discussion there are always a number of views. While it is important to build rapport within a professional environment, it is just as important to build respect and confidence with your colleagues / other business areas. With this in mind, 'going for drinks' can help or hinder your approach in the workplace. What happens after work can be perceived as your standard mode of operation. So if you can note the underlying interactions between HR staff and other business areas then you can go a long way to developing appropriate and beneficial professional relationships. Your own perceptions of you or HR may not be that of others in your business. As a HR professional you need to be able to read your workplace and therefore the appropriateness of after work activities with colleagues.
  • PPL | 26 Nov 2015, 10:29 PM Agree 0
    Like with any discussion there are always a number of views. While it is important to build rapport within a professional environment, it is just as important to build respect and confidence with your colleagues / other business areas. With this in mind, 'going for drinks' can help or hinder your approach in the workplace. What happens after work can be perceived as your standard mode of operation. So if you can note the underlying interactions between HR staff and other business areas then you can go a long way to developing appropriate and beneficial professional relationships. Your own perceptions of you or HR may not be that of others in your business. As a HR professional you need to be able to read your workplace and therefore the appropriateness of after work activities with colleagues.
  • Muizz | 27 Nov 2015, 12:09 PM Agree 0
    What is wrong with you? Why on earth they cant go for after-work drinks? This is what happen when we all try to think outside the box. Just because he is an police officer he cant go out and date with someone outside his department? Or you scared that they will get too close in a relationship that she might get a way when doing bad things? Everything starts from ethic and integrity. If your brother has done something bad, really bad. Would you turn him over to cops?

I hate people taking advantage of me. So to answer my question, if he really thinks i will not, he is dead wrong! But.. What say you?
Post a reply