Human Capital forum is the place for positive industry interaction and welcomes your professional and informed opinion.

Should ‘fit notes’ replace ‘sick notes’?

Notify me of new replies via email
HC Online | 09 Oct 2013, 12:00 AM Agree 0
In order to tackle high absenteeism rates, the UK and parts of Europe have been proactive in instituting the ‘fit note’ to address what a worker could do, instead of focusing on what they can’t do.
  • Bernhard Racz | 07 May 2012, 04:01 PM Agree 0
    Fully agree with this, but should also be used in work-place injuries. Many years ago I was the 'night matron' of a large Sydney hospital, and the ADN of Intensive care units. I was injured when a stairway at work collapsed, and despite the back pain, I kept saying I could work, and wanted to return to work, but the employer and the insurer blocked every door, including blocking employment throughout NSW Health. To survive, I started emplyment agencies and a few other businesses, and sued them on a Civil claim to 'give me my job back or pay the difference' in wages not earned. After 12 years of court cases, where even the court ruled the insurer ' had to pay (&awarded $1.8 million), the insurers persisted, pushed for more court time, and when we were told we'd be in court another 10 years we called it quits and walked away.
    Despite bouts of pain etc, I worked ALL that time, yet still the employer and insurers insisted that I 'couldn't work'. My own solicitors insisted that to be paid I needed to stop all work, use a cane to walk, 'try to hire' a wheelchair', and never lift my kids, do shopping, mowing etc. The legal system is criminal.
  • John Linnett | 11 Oct 2013, 03:34 PM Agree 0
    Bernhard you should name and shame the insurer. Your case is a disgrace and the insurers should be made to pay the $1.8M, if the court ordered it. The legal system does not want real honest workers to work.
Post a reply