Human Capital forum is the place for positive industry interaction and welcomes your professional and informed opinion.

Shell boss calls for workplace relations overhaul

Notify me of new replies via email
HC Online | 27 Jun 2014, 10:53 AM Agree 0
Global energy company Shell has called for changes to Australian workplace practices. Is the current system putting multinationals off doing business here?
  • MM | 27 Jun 2014, 12:08 PM Agree 0
    The IR rules don't need to change, they work - Shell needs to ask why did it cost so much for 500 hours of work? It cost that much because that is what they negotiated. Shell needs to up its game and not blame employees for being better at negotiation than the company. They wanted an EBA for the convenience of the company instead of staying with the Award. So any shortcomings or extra costs to the business in following the EBA is the company's own fault.
  • Paul | 27 Jun 2014, 04:59 PM Agree 0
    Great comment MM. May I also add that many employer membership organizations (you know who you are) and other parties i.e. lawyers etc recommend that Companies use such agreements purely for reasons of their own gains.
    An in-experienced HR person won’t know the difference between available contracts and usually go with what other external or internal party’s recommend or, what other uninformed Companies are using - Industry norms. Shell you used the wrong agreements and worse – you were poor at negotiating them.
  • Sarah | 30 Jun 2014, 02:52 PM Agree 0
    Well said MM. If an employer wants to use an EA instead of an Award they should make sure they know how to negotiate well with unions and carry out appropriate planning.
Post a reply