Human Capital forum is the place for positive industry interaction and welcomes your professional and informed opinion.

Shaking up the interview process

Notify me of new replies via email
HC Online | 02 Oct 2013, 12:00 AM Agree 0
When you only have a short time to figure out what makes a potential employee tick, it’s time to throw out the safe, boring questions and mix things up.
  • Peg T. | 02 Oct 2013, 03:23 PM Agree 0
    I found this very interresting and usabel information - interviews are often boring same old same old and indeed sparking them up by changing the process the questions the interview room / area etc will give a very different view of the applicant and their suitability for the role
  • Cameron | 02 Oct 2013, 03:28 PM Agree 0
    Glad you enjoyed it, Peg. The blog post we drew this information from also offers some more insights so I urge you to check it out if you haven't already. For ease, here is the link:
  • Mark | 02 Oct 2013, 03:58 PM Agree 0
    I feel though that if you shake it up too much though that a good candidate will decide to go and work elsewhere. I personally would find some of these approaches quite confronting and not want to work for that organisation.
  • HC | 02 Oct 2013, 04:14 PM Agree 0
    If these questions cause the candidate to not accept the role, then they are probably the candiate you want. IMO, one of the most important parts of the interview is giving the candidate an idea of what the workplace is going to be like.

If you have a fast-paced and unpredicable workplace, then a slow and predicable interview might not cut it.

I really liked the flipped questions!
  • Janine | 02 Oct 2013, 04:31 PM Agree 0
    I agree with Mark this approach can be confronting and personally I would not work for an organisation that uses this. On the other hand it really depends on the type of industry you're working / hiring for, such as marketing
  • Sam | 03 Oct 2013, 06:27 AM Agree 0
    As a job seeker I welcome change in the interview process it encourages free dialogue allowing people to become more acquainted which in turn adds to your network, recruiters become allies more so than a stranger asking questions, I would ask a company to provide me with a couple of reasons why I would want to work for them? What makes them stand out from their competitors. New dynamics all round.
  • Jenni | 03 Oct 2013, 03:51 PM Agree 0
    I think the initial interview should be relaxed and something a bit different to encourage a candidate to open up. I like to try and see how they will conduct themselves once they are settled in and comfortable. I don't find it helpful to be too confronting.
  • Diane Mason | 08 Oct 2013, 03:04 PM Agree 0
    I appreciate all views on this topic and believe a lot has to do with the job role itself. Keeping in mind that other than a CV, reference check and/or another form of profiling, the interview process is the only time you get to have a conversation with the person, so finding out those things that are really important to the role can require us to be direct. It certainly stops candidates from giving well rehearsed answersand helps identify their real skill and cultural fit. I would use this with discretion.
  • Mick | 09 Oct 2013, 03:35 PM Agree 0
    A good way to interview and a tactic I have used for a long time to get to the truth
  • Tibor Deheny | 16 Oct 2013, 12:01 PM Agree 0
    Such an approach is not unlike what I've experienced when going for an audition as an actor. I like it because it tends to crumble the 'facade' and expose the 'real' me. Personally, that relaxes me and from my experience, enables those with me to be more relaxed. From that position, communication usually becomes easier and clearer and both parties benefit, even if they decide it's best to have nothing more to do with each other. However, it can also make it easier to get together!
Post a reply