Human Capital forum is the place for positive industry interaction and welcomes your professional and informed opinion.

Schoolyard bullies to face job ban

Notify me of new replies via email
HC Online | 28 May 2012, 12:01 AM Agree 0
Under a new initiative supported by the NSW government, employers will be encouraged to reject job applications from school leavers with a history of bullying.
  • Bree Vreedenburgh | 28 May 2012, 01:56 PM Agree 0
    No, no, no. This is an awful idea. You marginalise these kids for their behaviour, without giving them (a) opportunity to demonstrate they have changed and (b) assistance to overcome their bullying...??? What if the kid is a bully because his dad is an idiot? Shouldn't that kid be educated and nurtured instead of marginalised?? Do you really think bullies are going to stop bullying if you refuse them the advantage of stepping into a workplace where they are required to behave like an adult?
    Also, why would jobseekers not be told why their application was refused?? Doesn't it defeat the purpose of the exercise - being to make bullies understand that their actions have consequences - if you don't tell them that their bullying led to them being excluded from consideration for a particular job???
    I am thoroughly confused by this scheme.
  • Shiv | 28 May 2012, 02:12 PM Agree 0
    Poorly thought out concept. Whoever came up with this idea might decide to extend some logic for parking tickets tomorrow.
  • Dean Turner | 28 May 2012, 02:21 PM Agree 0
    A truly terrifying move!

Natural justice takes a back seat, conspiracy and deception now stand tall front and centre. Having children at school I am aware of this issue, it is now being highlighted ad nauseum to everyone. The issue is this, do school properly investigate an allegation, I know for a fact that 2 or more years ago these issues were being swept under the rug. How does the accused defend themselves? Where are the processes? Under 18 and you criminal record is sealed, yet for this we will happily tell any employer who comes along.

It may be 2011, but it feels much more like "1984"!
  • Deborah | 28 May 2012, 03:36 PM Agree 0
    And what happens to these jobseekers if they get refused a job? They go on the dole? That's NOT an acceptable solution. Bullying should be addressed at the coalface - not x number of years later when applying for a position.
  • Keryl Egan | 28 May 2012, 03:36 PM Agree 0
    Banning kids from school who have been accused of bullying does nothing about the seasoned old bullies in the workplace who are tolerated every day by workers, managers, CEO's and Boards.
  • JohnRC | 28 May 2012, 04:00 PM Agree 0
    A terrible policy idea. Might as well just give them a gun and a criminal record.
    If they have real anti social behaviour then they will struggle to get work just based on that fact picked up in interviews and probation period.
  • SDM | 29 May 2012, 11:35 AM Agree 0
    Where I understand we need to do something radical about bullying both at school & at work, I find this programme rather frightening. In order to tackle a problem, you general need to understand the root cause. If you want to fix the problem, that's where you start. Kids don't think to far past what is happening right now. They work towards their HSC & not much past that so a threat to their future employment is probably not going to be much of a deterrent in any event. I know a Psychologist who works withing the public school system & it is frighteneing to hear how much red tape & beaurocracy exists. Where teachers (who after all are human) are left to deal with what is a social/family issue, have little training on how to deal with it other than issueing yard duty or detention. Kids are often labelled & punised rather than helped. I have come across both kids and adults that are bullies & punishing them seems like what I want to do at the time as they test my self control is nothing but emotion talking. In the same way that segregating criminals for s hort period of time does nothing for preventing crime or recividism, them I'd say this is a very BAD idea...
  • Bernie Althofer | 30 May 2012, 10:07 AM Agree 0
    One would hope that this program has been based on sound research and even consultation with a range of academics, professionals and practitioneers. As many of the online discussions are indicating, there appear to a range of concerns regarding this program, not the least of which lies with Privacy issues, and the long term impact on a school bully who may have turned the corner. Issues such as procedural fairness and natural justice are important issues and whilst no-one wants to see or hear of another suicide, education seems to be the most commonly suggested approach.

I note that this a trial and at the end of the trial, there should be an evaluation which may or may not highlight the gaps that are being identified in various online discussions. It would be interesting to read the current documentation that exists in relation to how this trial was developed. This might help create a better and more informed understanding of the complexities involved. Given the apparent lack of information available, current comments in various forums are already highlighting a few positives, but a majority of negatives.
  • Linda | 01 Jun 2012, 09:53 AM Agree 0
    If a child doesn't apply themselves at school, are we never going to offer them education again. Another blight in our society of over regulation. We need to educate not regulate and who says they are bullies anyway? Will there be a trial to determind beyond reasonable doubt or balance of probability. Wake up World there are bigger fish to fry, discipline at the time and provide boundaries, do not label for a lifetime.
  • Claire Holloway | 04 Jun 2012, 06:18 PM Agree 0
    What if bullies are people who are the victims of poor parenting/role modelling. What if the group was empowered to give them a hug and guidance?

This punishment model will not create compliance. Only compassion will engage people with poor social skills... punching the victim is an amazingly illogical conclusion to arrive at.
Post a reply