Human Capital forum is the place for positive industry interaction and welcomes your professional and informed opinion.

Rewriting workplace diversity

Notify me of new replies via email
HC Online | 24 Jan 2014, 11:55 AM Agree 0
While HR struggles to foster diversity in the workforce, experts say it’s time for a shake-up.
  • Stephen | 24 Jan 2014, 01:25 PM Agree 0
    It's an interesting point that over 50% of university graduates are women yet they represent only 27% of middle management positions and 20% of senior executive positions.

I think a lot more needs to follow up research needs to be done looking into what career and life aspirations young women studying have. I think you'll find that a great proportion of those gradutes never intend on progressing beyond middle manager level because they have a life aspiration of being a mother as well and it's a conscious choice of not participating in the workforce at that level or above rather than a glass ceiling or 1950's corporate man. Rather than the focus being on how do we ensure equal representation of women in higher roles, it should be on how do we make the ability to maintain career progression and participation that aligns with women's preferences and needs. I think the increase of part-time, casualisation and mid-career breaks is a positive sign that the workplace is looking at the issue more sophisticatedly than trying to achieve a one-size fits all approach that is women want to be in 50% of mangement and executive level roles.
  • Alan Harrison | 30 Jan 2014, 11:40 AM Agree 0
    Female employees who aspire to senior management roles, need to be much less concerned about being a woman, with special networks and needs, and much more concerned about performance - creating a track record (not image), characterized by excellence in team skills, technical skills and outcomes achieved. If women spent half as much time on the latter instead of harping about why they are not promoted to meet their aspiration, they would do a lot better. A major issue in terms of credibility is that positive discrimination has ensured that there are more less competent and more competent women in the workforce than ever before. The reputation of less competent women is a serious obstacle for the more competent women - and I fear that many younger graduates females will have to deal with the bottleneck the less competent will create. We need less energy wasted upon gender and more on being an achiever in a team where gender is irrelevant. 'Gender' courses at university have a lot to answer for.
Post a reply