Human Capital forum is the place for positive industry interaction and welcomes your professional and informed opinion.

Respect where it's due

Notify me of new replies via email
HC Online | 16 Sep 2010, 12:00 AM Agree 0
Why should HR aim to create respectful workplaces and how can it be done? Joe Moore has the answers
  • Bernie Althofer | 16 Sep 2010, 11:55 AM Agree 0
    Good points raised by Joe. How many organisations have Codes of Conduct that talk about treating others with respect, dignity or even courtesy? Unfortunately, it seems that in some cases this is not translated into day to day business activities. In some cases the Code of Conduct may only be loosely linked with other key systems and processes. Invariably when I talk with people about workplace bullying, the conversation turns to issues of respect and dignity. All too often, there is some indication that "If only I was treated with respect". Understanding the difference between assertive and aggressive behaviour, allowing occasional differences of opinions to exist so that parties can disagree but still respect the right of the other party to express their view, get workers together to discuss and agree on what is a respectful workplace, link this to performance management, and get everyone to understand workplace protocols e.g. reporting structures and processes. On the face of it, creating respectful workplaces can appear simple enough. However, given that there are links to a number of systems and processes, a silo approach should not be taken. I see little point in issuing an edict to say that from this day forward we will have a respectful workplace, unless employees at all levels have a common understanding of what is meant by the term. Dumping pages of ''meaningless waffle'' on the intranet as a way of ''training'' employees will be met with a luke warm reception and may not get implemented to the degree it was intended.
  • Joe Moore | 28 Sep 2010, 10:49 AM Agree 0
    Hi Bernie - your list of comments starting with "Understanding the difference between assertive and aggressive behaviour, allowing occasional differences of opinions to exist so that parties can disagree but still respect the right of the other party to express their view" is a useful start to get groups talking about what respet means to them when they work together - thanks for the feedback!
    Joe
Post a reply