Human Capital forum is the place for positive industry interaction and welcomes your professional and informed opinion.

Rescinding a job offer: HR’s best practice approach

Notify me of new replies via email
HC Online | 16 Sep 2013, 12:00 AM Agree 0
So you’ve offered the job but now you’re faced with needing to rescind – HC provides you with a how-to guide for navigating this uncomfortable task.
  • MM | 16 Apr 2013, 04:56 PM Agree 0
    In many cases of rescinded job offers, the company will offer a compensation payment to the person affected ("sorry for the inconvenience caused"). However this payment is not a payroll payment (person is not an employee, so can't be receiving an employment termination payment) - proper tax advice also needs to be taken and this is usually overlooked.
  • PT | 17 Apr 2013, 07:44 AM Agree 0
    Hello MM, you are incorrect with your above statement, the compensation should have normal PAYG withheld, please refer to the below ATO guide, http://www.ato.gov.au/individuals/PrintFriendly.aspx?ms=individuals&doc=/content/00227664.htm
  • MM | 17 Apr 2013, 03:49 PM Agree 0
    PT - no point in getting into a slanging match here, but the long, long list of income on the ATO list you refer to does not cover a rescinded job offer payment when the person has not yet started employment.
    They are not an employee - so they can't be getting salary and wages nor an employment termination payment. And while you might say this is compensation for lost income, that ATO category only covers, income protection payments, sickness and accident policy payments and workers' compensation payments.
  • Poor HR Guy | 19 Apr 2013, 03:57 PM Agree 0
    The HR takeaway for me is I'm in the wrong job. Stockbrokers earn a lot of money!!
  • IK | 25 Sep 2013, 01:57 AM Agree 0
    This has just happened to me! But in the most hack-handed manner. I believe the HR department to be at fault. I received a contract of employment and after two months of nonsense from HR they say that they've decided they will not 'progress my application'. From this it sounds like they can't just do that!!
  • Tim | 04 Apr 2015, 06:12 AM Agree 0
    I received a employment agreement with americold logistics in which the wording in the contract says backgroudn verification. What part of verification is discriminating against a positive background. Why even bother to send all the bells and whistles into play if you specifically state you have a background and they still continue your application... I think the wording alone in these contracts are what should be addressed. If i verify information Im checking that its accurate. Not stating if your a felong go f yourself. We need to stop being so pigheaded towards individuals that want to rehabilitate.
  • jamez | 15 Apr 2015, 03:03 AM Agree 0
    Job offer made salary determined physical and drug test done met managers Supv etc showed me my new office then they said the background check wasn't finished I've given my job 2 weeks notice the 2 wks have passed and I'm still waiting now I'm unemployed because now they saying hold tight something came up on my background check this the 2nd week now and no decision yet I'm literally unemployed until they make a decision
    HELPPPPPPOOOP
Post a reply