Human Capital forum is the place for positive industry interaction and welcomes your professional and informed opinion.

Reporter sacked for Anzac Day tweets

Notify me of new replies via email
HC Online | 28 Apr 2015, 09:49 AM Agree 0
Was the dismissal of SBS sports journalist Scott McIntyre following a series of Anzac Day tweets justified?
  • Keith | 28 Apr 2015, 11:13 AM Agree 0
    So the political establishment have got another scalp because he dared to question their perceived view of history. Another sad day for democracy. Hang your heads in shame.
  • Fred | 28 Apr 2015, 11:44 AM Agree 0
    The precedent has been set by other journos posting inappropriately on social media and getting the sack given the nature of their job, toegher with examples from other industries like brewery workers having been found to be 'fairly' dismissed for drink driving. I'm not sure why people are so surpirsed?
  • Raymond O Connell | 28 Apr 2015, 11:52 AM Agree 0
    SBS should get no more funds from the tax payer ,Scott Mc Intyres views are of the Gay,Green,Labor culture that is against everything that make Australians proud .Their catchcry is Shame on you Australia,Shame on you .Yet it remains true that about 80percent of the people in this country are proud to call themselves Australian .Good riddance to the SBS and Scott McIntyre.Raymond O Connell
  • S Dens NZ | 28 Apr 2015, 12:55 PM Agree 0
    Raymond O'Connell's comments are appallingly. He thinks that public funding shpuld be denied people who against everything that makes Australia proud. Does this imply that people who are "against Australia" should pay no tax. Also he has very little understanding of left politics. But more to the point what is it exactly that makes "Australians Proud". Yes Australians fought against an evil Japanese enemy that committed terrible atrocities: Bataan death march, summary execution of pow's, comfort women and the notorious experimental units of the Japanese armies that conducted Nazi like research. However its treatment of Aborigines and the racist whites only immigration policies of the 1970's are surely shameful. So what exactly is it that Australians should be proud of?
  • Keivn | 28 Apr 2015, 04:32 PM Agree 0
    Based on the comments made perhaps we should have lost the war and then the people being so derogatory to the fallen would not have been born and we would have be spared their pitiful views. to our friend from NZ perhaps letting NZ's into Australia is something we should be proud of. We are not here to glorify war but simply respect those who died attempting to protect what we all call home. If you find that too hard perhaps there is another country with a more proud record that you would be happy living in.
  • Greg W | 28 Apr 2015, 08:26 PM Agree 0
    Apparently there is nothing that Australians should be proud of according to S Dens NZ; which in their own special way has supported Raymond O Connell's statement regarding the culture that we are to be ashamed of everything (well done). Are we the only country that has (and still does) experienced dark episodes in its history? Apparently we are to live our lives in a state of abject despair and loathing at what we (or our forefathers) may or may not have done and never celebrate or commemorate.
    Happy now S Dens NZ, or should you be ashamed of that.
  • Proud Foundation Australian | 29 Apr 2015, 02:24 PM Agree 0
    Greg W- well said

Dear Scott and others who put a modern day spin on events of yesterday.... When you have the guts to say these things about all nations armies (yes all armies have done horrid acts in the name of war) and the current behaviour of ISIL recruits then I might listen ( or are you deliberately picking on the dead?- How brave !) . In addition at least the christian west try to discover and address horrid acts by its people, unlike many cultures that attempt to deny or cover up such acts. Where are your voices of beheadings and girls stolen to rape? Talking about the dead of a hundred years ago who can not defend themselves-- thats a low intelligence act with evidence of low emotional maturity as well as a time warped sense of a self-righteous opinion. In a 100 years I hope you are judged as spineless, talentless and say "anything to get noticed". Shame on you.
  • Clem Wright | 30 Apr 2015, 02:07 PM Agree 0
    This is the sort of thing that worries me about all the hype surrounding Anzac Day and Gallipoli – the unquestioning adherence to a particular nationalistic view of history. If you don’t adhere strictly, you’re not a good Australian. Freedom of speech is obviously to be suspended on or around 25 April !
  • Gazza | 01 May 2015, 05:33 PM Agree 0
    The problem is related to the emergence of social media and a haphazard reaction by employers to counter this. Is it appropriate or effective? Time will tell. The issue was then hijacked by ted bullpit and others who called it " despicable" etc. then it was all in .

I think we need to look at the issue of how do staff use social media. The cult of anzac is like the cult of anything. Adherents vs opponents. Totally devoid of rational debate. Full of abuse.

Raymond occonnel also confirms the idea that we should be wary of idiots using social media like emails. One person says something he doesn't like, cut their funding! Despite the fact sbs sacked the guy.?

BIZARRE.
  • Col | 04 May 2015, 01:56 PM Agree 0
    SBS may as well save itself the legal fees and write Scott McIntyre a cheque for 6 months pay in anticipation of his inevitable claim for unfair termination of his employment. Sacking an employee without notice is always a gamble for any employer as the decision has to be both procedurally and substantively fair to withstand any unfair termination claim in the Fair Work Commission.
  • FKRK-F | 05 May 2015, 09:35 AM Agree 0
    As a journalist, Scott should know that you need to take a neutral stance on all topics so as not to influence views or followers. SBS would have a technology & social policy that would cover the inappropriate use under its brand. If he has many SBS follwers on his twitter account then I would believe he would be representing his company and therefore should not have provided an opinon on such a sensative historical occasion - particularly one where people's grandparents and parents had faught and lost their lives. I believe SBS took the appropriate action. Given his rash opionions, perhaps there had been conversations in the lead up to his dismissal and that this act was the 'straw that broke the camel's back'. Aside from that, I feel his comments were totally inappropriate having lost my great grandfather in France and the affects it had on my family to come. He was an honerable man and deserves support for what he did not a rubbishing for something that has contributed to the freedom we have to today - including the freedom to make such distastful comments such as Scott's (he just shouldnt have done it under the name of SBS).
Post a reply