Human Capital forum is the place for positive industry interaction and welcomes your professional and informed opinion.

Relying on references in the recruiting process

Notify me of new replies via email
HC Online | 03 Dec 2012, 12:00 AM Agree 0
When it comes to deciding who to hire, and who not to hire, how useful are references to HR managers and employers?
  • Debby Sheahan on behalf of Verify | 03 Dec 2012, 03:52 PM Agree 0
    I work for a background screening company called Verify and having conducted many references over the years, both with positive and negative feedback, I have found that some clients are relying on these almost 100% in their decision making process. Some candidates exaggerate their achievements in their resumes and this has come out via the reference. An example - the referee wasn't aware of the information contained in the candidate's resume, but cleverly asked questions have found out some untruths. In this case, the client did not hire the candidate due to his integrity.
    I have also conducted fake references with someone purporting to have worked with the referee. In this case the client definitely did not hire. And as for negative feedback, it will depend on how much this would affect the candidate in the role he has applied for. Some clients may overlook the fact that a candidate came in late often, if he had the skills needed to do the job. Each reference is evaluated individually and according to the needs of the client, they will make their decision on the importance of the content received from referees.
    One thing to note is that it is important that the person conducting the reference should know how to delve for information.
Post a reply