Human Capital forum is the place for positive industry interaction and welcomes your professional and informed opinion.

Relocating staff: The questions you need to ask

Notify me of new replies via email
HC Online | 25 Feb 2014, 01:18 PM Agree 0
Moving staff can be an expensive and trying process. Here are the questions you need to ask to make sure it all runs smoothly.
  • Nic | 25 Feb 2014, 01:32 PM Agree 0
    Many companies fail to consider FBT implications on their business, or PAYG tax implications for employees on relocation allowances and payments for out of pocket expenses. If you are writing a policy on relocation, it is important to understand this area.
  • Karen | 25 Feb 2014, 01:36 PM Agree 0
    Many companies also underestimate the implication of and processing times for obtaining visas, and often these are left till far too late in the process (for international moves) which adds unnecessary stress.
  • R Pollock | 25 Feb 2014, 02:11 PM Agree 0
    What is suggested is spot on but additionally and equally important are basics like health insurance and superannuation. In some overseas countries, companies offer health insurance as a benefit, more so than in Australia I have found. Many countries have no reciprocity with Australia when it comes to Medicare and most Australian Health Funds won't cover you if living in another country. I have found Marsh a good option in this area. Then what to do about super? Plus what is the best way to relocate? and this may vary from country to country ie suspend on Australian payroll and locally hire in the new country? OR just relocate and continue to pay from Australian payroll. Another question related to LSL which does not accrue if working outside of Australia. And what about the certainty (if that is possible these days) of a job back here once their secondment is finished. Finally, I have found PWC to be top when it comes to providing tax advice to both the employee and the company.
Post a reply