Human Capital forum is the place for positive industry interaction and welcomes your professional and informed opinion.

Regional development key factor in FIFO debate

Notify me of new replies via email
HC Online | 05 Sep 2011, 12:10 AM Agree 0
Stronger policy decisions to support and co-ordinate regional development could ease community concerns around 'fly-in, fly-out' (FIFO) workforces, according to resource industry employer group AMMA.

• Sharon Dwyer | 11 Sep 2011, 03:06 PM Agree 0
    It is a reality that not all mine workers will be FIFO at any mine. Local workers will always have an important role to play. The mining companies are looking for the option to increase FIFO numbers because of the disparity between mine development and surrounding rural town development.

Instead of waiting for any government to step up to the plate and develop regional communities by providing adequate schools, childcare, health facilities and safer roads (just to name a few substandard services outside cities) why don't the mining giants consider negotiating tax breaks for providing these services themselves? This proactive stance has been taken previously in towns like Lightning Ridge and will solve the impasse between mines and government who all want to be seen as protecting jobs and local lifestyles in a reasonable time frame. If it is left to the Government we will never see more than focus groups and studies in our lifetime. The issue of individual and community health is too important to keep passing the buck.
Post a reply