Human Capital forum is the place for positive industry interaction and welcomes your professional and informed opinion.

Record $77k in damages awarded over ‘black fella’ slur

Notify me of new replies via email
HC Online | 13 May 2013, 12:00 AM Agree 0
The final appeal in a long running racial discrimination case in Queensland has been thrown out – an Indigenous care officer derogatorily referred to as a ‘black fella’ will be able to access his settlement.
  • Anonymous | 13 May 2013, 04:02 PM Agree 0
    At least Barney got a pay out for the shameful discrimination against him, it should been a lot more. Shame Australia.
  • Anon | 13 May 2013, 04:30 PM Agree 0
    2 years with/without pay?

Also begs the question, how did the employer respond other than directing the staff member to apologise? Is the employer being held accountable for the actions of the employee?

Also $40k of that fee was for hurt/suffering, not punative. Did the racial comments meet with similar responses from the colleuges?

While these actions were terrible, it does seem quite a large payout. You would recive a similar amount for a workcover permanament incapacity.
  • Gerard Grant | 14 May 2013, 10:00 AM Agree 0
    The employer and employee should face punitive damages for this terrible abuse. To Anon re the comment "you would receive a similar amount for a WorkCover permanent incapacity." I ask - Why should mental incapacity be treated less favourably than a physical incapacity?
  • Anon | 15 May 2013, 10:33 AM Agree 0
    @Gerad:
    Why should mental incapacity be treated less favourably than a physical incapacity?

It shouldn't, but one comment is not enough (without underlying mental issues) to cause total mental incapacity. That is like having someone with a back problem sit down in a chair and claim the chair has caused their back injury.

I agree that there should be punative damages awarded (assuming the employer acted without due process). And the employee should at very least be required to attend Cultural Awareness training. My point was that $40k is a lot exluding punative damages. $70k is a year and a half salary for a position like that.
  • | 21 Oct 2015, 08:25 PM Agree 0
    So how did Mr Barney suddenly get appointed to manage Kal'ang respite centre? And now that the contract has been awarded to Blue Care and Mr Barney's contract has been terminated, why is he still occupying Kal'ang respite centre?
  • Jan | 21 Oct 2015, 08:26 PM Agree 0
    So how did Mr Barney suddenly get appointed to manage Kal'ang respite centre? And now that the contract has been awarded to Blue Care and Mr Barney's contract has been terminated, why is he still occupying Kal'ang respite centre?
Post a reply