Human Capital forum is the place for positive industry interaction and welcomes your professional and informed opinion.

Ramadan has started, is your workplace accommodating?

Notify me of new replies via email
HC Online | 23 Jul 2012, 12:00 AM Agree 0
Islam’s sacred month of Ramadan began on 20 July and, as Australia now has almost nearly 500,000 Muslims, it will be observed by employees throughout the country. HCA investigates how HR can ensure Muslim employees are accommodated during this time.
  • Daryl | 25 Jul 2012, 09:34 AM Agree 0
    Yeah, let's accommodate this and and send productivity further downhill than it already is. Close now before all manufacturing goes broke or moves off shore...
  • Athiest | 05 Mar 2013, 10:30 PM Agree 0
    If you want to have equality you can't single out one religion from the others.
    You might think you're doing a good/nice thing & being proactive here, but you're not - you're only making a larger divide by singling one religion out over others. Strict Christians also have fasting periods like this but you'd never hear this said for them.

Work = pay, simple.

Agreed with Daryl - careful how far you go because companies will have no hesitation moving offshore if demands start to get as silly as this.
    • Human | 13 May 2016, 07:43 AM Agree 0
      Work = Pay, yes. This article hasn't said... 'lets pay muslims for their normal duties, but if they're fasting during Ramadan they don't have to work.'

I am about as much of an Athiest as anyone can be, but I am a human and understand other humans. I also work in health and safety and tips like those in this article are always handy.

If a person was doing the 40 hour famine, or came to me about an illness, injury or anything in their personal lives that may affect the way they complete their work, I would look at the risks associated and see how I can reduce those and help accomodate the person. No division, no singling out.
  • Sam | 09 Jul 2013, 04:03 PM Agree 0
    @ Athiest and Daryl, Go find something else to brag about. Christians fast but still eat and drink during the day, Muslims do not eat anything or drink from Dawn to Sunset. When you too employ Muslims try telling them you can't accommodate for their religious beliefs.

I am fasting today and i have worked through all breaks but will be leaving half an hour earlier than others, there is nothing wrong with that.
Post a reply