Human Capital forum is the place for positive industry interaction and welcomes your professional and informed opinion.

Qualified migrants: A squandered talent pool

Notify me of new replies via email
HC Online | 08 Aug 2013, 12:00 AM Agree 0
The skills and abilities of migrants with professional qualifications are being left untapped in Australia, new research shows.
  • GWH Lohrey | 08 Aug 2013, 07:09 PM Agree 0
    Australians returning from posts overseas also experience most of these problems, so the issue is more complex and indicates an even greater waste of talent and qualifications.
  • Laura Kassabian | 13 Aug 2013, 01:26 PM Agree 0
    I worked at a recruitment agency for two months in the construction and engineering industry and I've had my fair share of "I only want candidates with at least 3 years of local experience," clients rejecting qualified potential candidates.

Migrant workers arrive to australia on working visas and PRs only because of their qualifications and experience and then get extremely frustrated for not getting the jobs because of the lack of local experience. Some would take jobs way below their level of expertise and qualification. Such a disapointment and waste of talent.
  • Sham | 22 Aug 2013, 10:41 AM Agree 0
    Will there be more opportunities and forums such as " working the Australian way" available in Perth. It is indeed frustrating leaving your country with a wealth of experience working in world class organizations and having to struggle just to get an interview.
Post a reply