Human Capital forum is the place for positive industry interaction and welcomes your professional and informed opinion.

PwC abolishes employee dress code

Notify me of new replies via email
HC Online | 02 Jun 2016, 10:30 AM Agree 0
The top accountancy firm has officially relaxed its rules on work wear – just weeks after one receptionist was sent home for refusing to wear heels.
  • Tom H. | 10 Jun 2016, 07:19 AM Agree 0
    I am the managing partner of a regional CPA firm in Northeast Ohio. While we have a business casual policy, trusting your people to use their judgement and common sense, is a disaster waiting to happen. Instead of having one policy that is open to interpretation, you will have a policy for every employee. Good luck with that one.
    • Encryptedc | 21 Jun 2016, 11:42 AM Agree 0
      You're clearly not hiring the right people.
    • Not Tom H. | 24 Jun 2016, 06:44 AM Agree 0
      Glad I don't work for you :)
    • MH | 28 Jun 2016, 12:22 AM Agree 0
      I agree with you Tom, we had business casual and some already took it too far even then, now that we have casual it's like a frat house. While I agree with dress for your day (meaning no need to wear a suit if no client meetings are lined up) that still means look polished and not as if you just rolled out of bed. The reporter says that that employee response has been positive - that is not entirely true as there are mixed responses. Positive response is primarily at the very junior level who cannot yet go to client meetings. In certain departments we are expected to always be ready for a client meeting and if you are not ready because you are wearing jeans and a tucked out polo that is a missed career opportunity.
    • Wololo | 04 Aug 2016, 08:08 AM Agree 0
      Oh no, best tell PwC that a regional firm in Ohio doesn't approve!
  • Steve Rowe | 14 Jun 2016, 02:30 PM Agree 0
    I disagree. Any issues that arise from PWC's new policy can be easily sorted out through conversation. Trusting employees to make appropriate decisions as to what they wear every day will reap enormous cultural benefits. I have always found the notion of "casual Friday" as very odd. If it's ok on Friday - what's wrong with the rest of the week. Hats off to you Deloitte for leading the way in an area overdue for change.
  • | 17 Jun 2016, 10:59 PM Agree 0
    Steve, it's PWC...
  • Slaven Kartelo (PWC senior manager) | 19 Jun 2016, 06:12 AM Agree 0
    I agree. People in PWC are self aware and responsible persons. If we want to unlish Full potential of our people we need to change. Often we tell to everybody that they need to think outside the box. But how can we ask that of them, if we are the one puting them into uniformed boxes. It is time for us to think that way and lead by example. I welcome this decision! Just hope other countries will follow this inicijative.
  • Curley | 20 Jun 2016, 11:27 AM Agree 0
    Their previous policy would be considered discrimination towards women. If a pants suit was suitable for a man then it should be deemed appropriate or a man. The heels is also an issue and could come under both direct and indirect discrimination. It is direct sex discrimination but indirect disability discrimination. Someone with a disability may not be able to manage high heels and yet be able to carry out the inherent duties of the position. My guess would be that these breaches have been highlighted and the potential penalties from the Human Rights Commission, along with the bad publicity as a result of the penalties have been considered.
  • Mijele | 23 Jun 2016, 12:32 AM Agree 0
    In the workplace, the way you dress is important because it affects how others perceive you. If your clothes are clean, neat and professional, it shows that you take pride in yourself and your position. When meeting with a superior or a client, your professional dress instills confidence in them about your abilities. In fact an employee’s style of dress at work influences his or her chances for promotion.

These days, there is a wide range of acceptable dress in the workplace, from very casual to formal. You should familiarize yourself with the employer’s dress policy, and be observant of the company’s culture.
    We can not leave the dressing choice on the employees but it should be well defined in the organizations policy for the purpose of control and accountability.
  • Eagle | 27 Jun 2016, 11:27 PM Agree 0
    They should also remove the working hours schedules and let employees to use their judgement as when is the right time to get to work. You see..... It is okay to have some flexibility, but a business that runs without rules, is doomed to failure.
  • Salty The Seadog | 20 Jul 2016, 02:06 PM Agree 0
    Considering PWC US is already "Smart Casual" having a bunch of Americans comment on the Australian arm seems super irrelevant. Good job guys.
Post a reply