Human Capital forum is the place for positive industry interaction and welcomes your professional and informed opinion.

Public spanking and bottom pinching - but much less stress

Notify me of new replies via email
HC Online | 09 Dec 2014, 08:44 AM Agree 0
A candid documentary exploring the changing face of office environments has cast light on just how sexist the ‘70s really were.
  • Jenny | 09 Dec 2014, 11:50 AM Agree 0
    If only we could have the good parts without the bad.....if we could have social functions with our work colleagues where nobody got hammered & had a punch up or groped anyone.....if we could evaluate each others ideas on merit & gender had nothing to do with it.....if we could treat everyone we meet with courtesy & respect.....what a wonderful world it would be!
  • Ron Burgundy | 09 Dec 2014, 12:00 PM Agree 0
    Bring back the 70's!
  • MM | 09 Dec 2014, 12:37 PM Agree 0
    I wouldn't bring back smoking, that's for sure. But I would bring back the tea lady. And perhaps windows that open.
  • MW | 09 Dec 2014, 03:32 PM Agree 0
    I worked for a very large finance company in the 80s. One senior manager would deliberately knock things off his desk onto the floor then ask you to come into his office and pick them up whilst he looked down your top or up your skirt. Everyone knew it was wrong but he was a very senior manager and we were very junior female employees with no rights in the workplace in those days. We also had a manager who sat his female staff down and told them which way the company expected them to vote in an upcoming general election........I don't I want a return to those days
  • Paul | 09 Dec 2014, 06:14 PM Agree 0
    Good one MM. Isn’t it funny about the windows that don’t open. It drives me crazy to think air conditioning salesmen were able to convince the majority of people that fresh air is just not that important. I also love natural light. Fortunately I now have both ;).

But don’t listen to me – fresh air and natural light are really not that important.
  • Mary Regan | 09 Dec 2014, 06:44 PM Agree 0
    I loved the tea lady. Who needs an internal communication consultant when you have a tea lady? How special would we feel today if our skinny latte was brought to our desk?
  • Catherine Cahill | 09 Dec 2014, 06:53 PM Agree 0
    My memories include: a male employee resigning when he was told his new boss would be a woman - and everyone acknowledging that we "couldn't expect him to put up with that".

Having an older woman in the office keep a very close eye on me, because every time I went into a confined space (stationery room or tea room) one of the much older males would follow me in and corner me.

After putting in very long hours and delivering perfect work for many months, being told that a man was being employed to oversee my work so I "did not need to worry (my) pretty head about it" any more.

Just accepting that every, single office function involved the majority of the married men hitting on the girls. My favourite line: "Are you married" - and when I said "yes", he responded "happily?"

Despite the fact that on average we still get paid 20% less, I like the 21st century better...
  • CF | 10 Dec 2014, 11:54 AM Agree 0
    in the late 60's if the temperature rose above 80 degrees (F) all female staff were allowed to go home, because we were the weaker sex and could not handle the heat!
  • Catherine Cahill | 10 Dec 2014, 02:52 PM Agree 0
    Maybe the 60's were a bit kinder - because by the time the 80's rolled around the most common expression hurled at a woman was "If you can't stand the heat go back to the kitchen".

There were many men who felt they were being hard done by, just because a tiny minority of women were being "allowed" to do "equal" work.

Post a reply