Human Capital forum is the place for positive industry interaction and welcomes your professional and informed opinion.

Professional development: Getting the most out of the performance review process

Notify me of new replies via email
HC Online | 24 Jun 2010, 12:00 AM Agree 0
Mark Johnson argues that the problem with performance appraisal and review does not lie with the system but more importantly with the attitude of managers and employees toward the process and system.
  • Bernie Althofer | 24 Jun 2010, 03:33 PM Agree 0
    I sometimes suspect that the reason why the performance management is treated as a tick and flick process is that the parties involved view it as a beaucratic process that 'has to be done'. No likes giving bad news and no one likes getting bad news. However, if the parties enter into the process knowing that it involves time, has positive benefits, helps keep people (on both sides) focused, provides some meaning to work and might actually help both parties become more engaged and productive. I have lost count of the times that when the points outlined by Mark are not even considered, allegations of workplace bullying are raised. If performance management is done with structured purpose and clarity, it just may help to reduce one of the avenues where allegations are made.
  • drew | 25 Jun 2010, 09:26 AM Agree 0
    I have found that in my 30 years, in several organisation, all with different review programs, it is never the tool being used but the being using the tool!
Post a reply