Human Capital forum is the place for positive industry interaction and welcomes your professional and informed opinion.

Picking up vital signs of impending employee resignation

Notify me of new replies via email
HC Online | 01 Aug 2011, 12:00 AM Agree 0
Managers can be proactive in preventing surprise resignations. Shabeer Ahmad provides his tips.
  • Nazeer Aval | 03 Aug 2011, 05:43 PM Agree 0
    Excellent article. I had seen some of these signs on people who left earlier, of course yet to see in myself ;-)
  • Rizwan Ahmed | 06 Aug 2011, 08:42 AM Agree 0
    Good thoughtful, and very readable piece. Good balanced treatment of the whole topic, especially the parts that caution about not being judgmental about the whole thing.
  • Emad AbuGharbieh | 06 Aug 2011, 08:53 PM Agree 0
    Good article Shabir, but I'm not sure about the first and the second signs. Long vacations are planned at the first beginning of each year, and we all are very cautious in adding our managers to social networks :)
  • Ashraf Alam | 07 Aug 2011, 09:32 AM Agree 0
    Nice Article. True picture about reason behind attrition. Very Informative.
  • Ahmed | 07 Aug 2011, 04:32 PM Agree 0
    Interesting article, I have seen some of the above in people who have left an organisation that I have worked for.

A couple of other factors that I have heard people leaving mention are;
    1. Recognition of work. This may be the business as usual work that is done on 'personal' days or the 'over and above' work done in order to help meet deadlines or customer satisfaction. If the right recognition (even if it is a thank you email sent to all the team) is not seen to be done an employee may feel they or their work is not being recognized.
    2. Employees who have been with an organisation for a while, tend to inherit responsibilities over time due to various reasons e.g. stop gap for shortage of staff or due to organisational changes, but these are not always tangibly recognized whereby leaving certain employees with a feeling that they are doing things which should either be recognized through development plans or otherwise.
  • Anis CHAIEB | 07 Aug 2011, 05:28 PM Agree 0
    Hi Shabeer, I found your article very informative and insightful ! I also "discovered" that you wrote a book about management principles inspired from Islam ! Very interesting ! Well done Sir !
  • Nadeem | 08 Aug 2011, 04:45 PM Agree 0
    Informative and interesting tell-tale signs. I also feel that a good manager should be able to know his staff well enough to judge their employment satifaction / motivational level.
  • Asim Khan | 08 Aug 2011, 06:24 PM Agree 0
    Interesting insight and I think the last two paragraphs summarized it very well. As the main catalysts to leave are if there is a change in job environment, lack of motivation and a drop in job satisfaction levels.
  • Mohammed Kiki | 08 Aug 2011, 09:08 PM Agree 0
    Excellent Article. I have some other points to add that will give you some hints that the employee will leave:
    1) Employee starts to change his work style. For example, if he always comes late and he starts coming early then this is a sign. If he always argues with his manager and he -all of a sudden- stops the argument hassle then this is also a sign.
    2) Employee will start making fun or criticism his managers in front of his colleagues.
    3) Employee will look over committed to work or -in some cases- careless to his work.
    4) Employee will start asking other managers in his organization for a position change. This is definitely a sign that the employee is leaving.
    5) Notecing many one 2 one meetings between the employee and his colleges give one indication,he is leaving and he is trying to justify -to himself- why he is doing it.
  • Syed Hassan Abbas | 09 Aug 2011, 01:26 AM Agree 0
    I agree with you Shabbir Ahmad..
    These signs are more obvious particularly in current econimic scenario, for instance in Saudi Market. Particularly with companies with no or less centralised HR function. In Saudi Arabia, these signs also indicate the direction of Menegement Attitude towards Growth and friendly HR Policies.
  • Aileen | 10 Aug 2011, 02:15 PM Agree 0
    Very informative and well written, Mabrouk Shabir.
  • Raji Thomas | 11 Aug 2011, 05:59 PM Agree 0
    Excellent article Shabeer. Enjoyed reading it.
  • Abdullah Al-Muaiqel | 15 Aug 2011, 09:01 AM Agree 0
    That's a great article showing the major noticeable employees' behavior changes in the working environments. However, it's very important to the managers to have an early alert to have a suitable corrective actions to solve these issues may affecting employees performance or causing frustrations for the employees. Good and successful managers usually know how to retain their good employees without punishing them if they asked for their simple rights!

Thanks for the author for such a great article!
  • Aiedh Al-Zahrani | 18 Aug 2011, 11:40 PM Agree 0
    great article, enjoyed reading it. thanks
  • Imran Mughal | 13 Sep 2011, 07:57 AM Agree 0
    I agree 100% with Shabbir excellent article, valid signs.
    I want to say its not only in Middle East its same around the globe.

(People always leave Managers not companies)
    (Morale isn't something that can be bought. The work environment has to provide people with opportunities to success, to do their best, to be trusted, to be valued, and to be respected. Then morale and productivity can take place)
  • Mohammed Iftekhar | 16 Sep 2011, 06:32 AM Agree 0
    Quite an interesting article. I now look forward to reading your book 'Inspired Manager'.
  • Fullwood | 15 Mar 2015, 05:07 AM Agree 0
    They click here have just split the flow of electrically charged particles.
Post a reply