Human Capital forum is the place for positive industry interaction and welcomes your professional and informed opinion.

Philosopher slams HR departments

Notify me of new replies via email
HC Online | 13 Jul 2016, 10:13 AM Agree 0
Best known for his views on love, Alain de Botton has taken aim at the HR profession and its place in organisations.
  • | 13 Jul 2016, 11:35 AM Agree 0
    its the proverbial pulpit form which platitudes are dispensed for the multitude, not the preacher. is that what he is saying?
  • John HR | 13 Jul 2016, 11:54 AM Agree 0
    Sorry, I am simple HR practitioner, what is the point of this article - what is the issue and solution that it is proposing?
  • | 13 Jul 2016, 12:44 PM Agree 0
    Could his criticism of HR be linked to promoting the launch of his new business? Not exactly objective feedback.
  • | 13 Jul 2016, 01:36 PM Agree 0
    Does he understand what the HR function is? Clearly not as he dismisses it as 'hiring and firing'. Particularly funny his proposition that a boss can sack an employee at any moment. Really Mr de Botton? Perhaps it would pay for you to spend some time understanding our IR system.
  • | 13 Jul 2016, 01:50 PM Agree 1
    I spent good money to see him on Saturday night at the Opera House and he was as always interesting and thought provoking. After reading this article he won't see another cent from me. I am a senior HR practitioner and he might be very surprised if he met me, how wrong he can be in his generalisation. He is free to meet me to discuss, Trish ONeill, available via LinkedIn.
  • Geoff | 13 Jul 2016, 02:08 PM Agree 0
    Why would HC Online bother to report this bozo's views, surely the clue that he has no clue about what HR does was the reference to hiring and firing. Still it is good to know his views. He will be getting no foot in the door in my organization. He can go sell crazy elsewhere! My views of Seek, Telstra etc have been diminished if they have worked with someone of this ilk.
  • | 13 Jul 2016, 05:32 PM Agree 0
    Who cares what he thinks... what a negative pointless article
  • michael minns | 13 Jul 2016, 07:52 PM Agree 0
    I think HC ONLINE has fallen for the three card trick. Please have a senior HR scribe review all your stories. You are better tan this.
  • Maggie | 14 Jul 2016, 12:03 AM Agree 0
    As a non-HR practitioner, I think he is simply stating what many of us think and feel about HR. I find it interesting that many of the above comments sound defensive. We do NOT understand nor appreciate your "role", clearly. What I have experienced of HR is much as Alain has put it... And you write as if that's our fault. Maybe, like the politicians, you need to start listening to the people you represent.
    • Jen | 14 Jul 2016, 10:21 AM Agree 0
      Unfortunately Maggie its not as simple as the "people you represent". HR practitioners walk a difficult line between employees and the leadership/owners of companies. HR practitioners can provide advice but at the end of the day company Owners will do what they want to do - its their company. Like you all HR practitioners have mortgages and families to support. As the saying goes "walk in a mile in my shoes" ....
  • Robin | 14 Jul 2016, 12:04 PM Agree 0
    And the point....???
  • Louise | 14 Jul 2016, 12:23 PM Agree 0
    And why is effeminate a negative thing?
  • Sheryl | 14 Jul 2016, 12:35 PM Agree 0
    Just goes to show that HR is so good at providing training and development, career progression opportunities, counselling, time management, performance management, negotiation and mediation, health and wellbeing, payroll and IR alignment that these services float by unnoticed by the masses who are benefiting from these very HR services. Maybe if HR stopped performing these functions so fluidly our customers might realise there is a lot more to HR than 'hiring and firing'.
Post a reply