Human Capital forum is the place for positive industry interaction and welcomes your professional and informed opinion.

Personality matters: hiring graduates with no experience

Notify me of new replies via email
HC Online | 29 Oct 2012, 12:00 AM Agree 0
Graduate employees are a vital component of the workforce – but how do you choose the right candidate when they all have the same, limited professional experience?
  • Kate | 30 Oct 2012, 10:33 AM Agree 0
    Hi Caroline and Stephanie,

Thanks for the article, I tend to agree with most of the insights you’ve shared – it’s tough to pick the best of the bunch when so many graduates present a similar picture on paper. It’s situations like this where recruiters need to utilise selection methods that measure a wide range of characteristics (not just university grades) and that help discriminate between candidates in a fair and objective way.

For example, psychometric assessments measuring problem solving ability, personality, work preferences, and cultural fit are great additions to a graduate recruitment process. At Onetest, we find a lot of our graduate employer clients commonly use cognitive ability testing, values/cultural alignment assessments and behavioural profiling (as well as processes like interviews and assessment centres) to help them find the right person for the job. As you say, applicants can be bright, have great experience and present themselves well on paper....but what will you really find when you peel back the layers? Will they fit with the team, role and organisation more broadly? Will they be reliable? Do they have the capability to think on their feet? Carefully chosen assessments are one way you can uncover such traits during high-stakes graduate recruitment processes....hopefully leading to more intelligent hires!
  • Kim | 01 Nov 2012, 09:16 AM Agree 0
    Using participation in volunteer work effectively excludes any graduate who has had to work to support themselves during university - effectively ensuring the continued middle class franchise on access to meaningful work. I would envisage that the "lean and hungry" would equally have the skills and drive to succeed.
Post a reply