Human Capital forum is the place for positive industry interaction and welcomes your professional and informed opinion.

Penalty rates announcement has employers seeing red

Notify me of new replies via email
HC Online | 20 Mar 2013, 12:00 AM Agree 0
The Federal Government has flagged its intention to change the Fair Work Act to protect penalty rates in law.
  • serious? | 20 Mar 2013, 08:10 PM Agree 0
    Employer associations are no better than unions. They do not have their members best interests at heart. For a business to blame penalty rates as the biggest impact on their bottom line is clutching at straws. Any IR practitioner worth their salt knows full well that the penalty rates are a drop in the ocean compared to other influencing factors on the businesses bottom lines.

Perhaps if the employer associations spent their members money a bit better and assisted them with on the ground support as opposed to continually flogging dead horses through courts and tribunals, the businesses and the economy in general might be in better shape.
  • Employers need to appreciate staff | 21 Mar 2013, 05:59 PM Agree 0
    This is a disgrace, Employers want staff to work shift work and on Sunday's and not have to pay them penalty rates, come on, this is Australia we need to look after staff who are prepared to work shift work and Sunday's, while the Employer takes the day off !! Penalty rates are not worth that much anyway
  • employer | 21 Jun 2013, 03:39 PM Agree 0
    I'm currently in the middle of updating my payroll and the new rates will be affecting my business, with all the other increases such as rent, insurance, gas and electricity, I will be forced to increase prices and or reduce staff,
    which will make it harder for the people working.

I'm a owner operator and take time off when i can, Currently employ around 8 casuals but will have to employ juniors under 19 to be able to trade on a Sunday, which isn't compulsory but being in a shopping center are expected too.

Post a reply