Human Capital forum is the place for positive industry interaction and welcomes your professional and informed opinion.

Pay gap due to lack of female applications

Notify me of new replies via email
HC Online | 23 Aug 2012, 12:00 AM Agree 0
The reason women are underrepresented in high-paying jobs may be simply because they are not applying for them, rather than as a result of direct employer discrimination.
  • Peter Macdonald | 23 Aug 2012, 01:38 PM Agree 0
    When are we going to be bave enough o address the monkey in the room and recognise the fact that MANY women simply stop aspiring to senior management after the birth of their children. A new set of life priorities replaces the career drive. Hence there are fewer women to apply for senior roles. This will not change until it becomes an acceptable social norm for men to play (and want to play) the role of house husband. Once we recognise this then businesses can more adequately adapt their business structures to support the working career mother.
  • Judy Higgins | 23 Aug 2012, 03:43 PM Agree 0
    Peter, you are correct in saying that, but it's not the only reason I think. Certainly some of the industries/organisations (including the public service) have had subtle discriminiation in action. Women who were more qualified than the men simply didn't get the jobs, after a while they stop applying because they know what the culture is. Having said that, certainly many young women these days are working part time having made the decision to spend more time at home with their children. The role of house husband (which my son has been in full time for over 5 years) is very undervalued and even in some circles, frowned on. Businesses do have to be flexible and be prepared to job share where appropriately qualified women only want to work part time. Many men would be happy enough to do the same, and it could also be used as a way to develop people by putting them in the job for one or two days a week.
Post a reply