Human Capital forum is the place for positive industry interaction and welcomes your professional and informed opinion.

Outrage as casual workers required to wear barcoded armbands

Notify me of new replies via email
HC Online | 12 Jun 2012, 12:00 AM Agree 0
An employer in Melbourne has been cast into the spotlight as outraged workers and unions slam the requirement for casual workers to wear barcoded armbands – but the dispute is really about casual vs. permanent labour.
  • Patrick McInerney | 13 Jun 2012, 09:07 AM Agree 0
    I wonder if anyone has asked the casual workers about how happy they are to work under such arrangements? Chronic underemployment with a lack of reliable income to do things like - move out of home, keep the car on the road, buy groceries etc... chained to a telephone waiting for the call to work.....hmmm no thanks!
  • Bystander | 13 Jun 2012, 01:58 PM Agree 0
    It's better than the alternative as the report pointed out; No employment. If the casual workers do not like their current employment, maybe they should search for a part time or full time job while waiting for the phonecall
  • Fay Foster | 14 Jun 2012, 04:25 PM Agree 0
    In my experience, many many casual workers are 'searching for a part time or full time job while waiting for the phone call'. Especially in regional and country centres, there are often very few full-time permanent jobs on offer. I admire those who accept casual work to try to maintain themselves and their families - but I also know that a large number of those people would rather have the security of full-time employment, paid holidays and sick leave, and prior knowledge of whether they will be working the next day. Unlike permanent shift workers who know their shifts in advance, they are often unable to plan doctor's appointments, visits to their children's schools, or other non-work commitments.
  • Part of the problem | 16 Jun 2012, 01:22 AM Agree 0
    I agree with Patrick and Fay. Many people accept casual work while looking for permanent employment - but if no permanent employment is available, they're stuck with casual work to pay their bills. My contractors don't make enough to buy health insurance and are not offered benefits as a casual worker; it creates a heart wrenching situation when any of them fall ill. Casual workers are not the way of the future, it just leads to a very resentful and disgruntled staff.
Post a reply