Human Capital forum is the place for positive industry interaction and welcomes your professional and informed opinion.

Orgs spell out tattoo policy and expectations

Notify me of new replies via email
HC Online | 27 Mar 2012, 12:00 AM Agree 0
State police commissioners around the country have led a crackdown on visible tattoos, prompting many employers to re-look at their own policies.
  • Lizzy | 27 Mar 2012, 02:33 PM Agree 0
    What about encouraging staff to bring their full authentic selves to work? How can you expect to get the best from your people when you demand that they dedicate energy toward pretending to be someone that they are not?
  • Peter | 27 Mar 2012, 03:11 PM Agree 0
    I recently went to Bunnings where the 'team' member serving me was covered in very visable tats had several piercings - ears, nose, lip, eyelid, tongue and was very helpful. I had to admit my initial reaction was bit shocked but he was incredibly helpfull and knowledgeable. I went from Bunnings to Office Works and the young lady serving was also heavily tattoed, with several piercings and bright pinkhair. I also got good service there. It appears Wesfarmers have no problem with tats and piercings as long as the service is OK.
  • Estelle | 27 Mar 2012, 04:46 PM Agree 0
    Tattoo's are part of life, people from all walks of life have them, being in the forces with a Tattoo brings the normality and human side of people with whom the general public can relate to them, let people be themselves, not turn them into stereo types with no self expression or personality
  • Pete | 27 Mar 2012, 05:28 PM Agree 0
    It's hard to judge someone by a tatoo... especially a Swastika of which its peaceful origin dates back more than 5000 years!!!
  • Peter | 28 Mar 2012, 10:24 AM Agree 0
    While ever staff make up part of your companies public presentation we will need to consider how they look within reason. Big bad tats are still out.
  • Clara Pound | 28 Mar 2012, 01:55 PM Agree 0
    I like this very well expressed view and clarification on the thinking of self selected personal features such as tatoos and piercings and how discrimination might apply.
  • Tarn | 29 Mar 2012, 02:01 PM Agree 0
    I agree with Estelle Tattoo is a part of human life, traditional or not! Let us have our rights to work un discriminated for the way we look, talk, or hold ourselves! we are human life, not numbers, not engineered robots that need refurbishing! this is so crushing! A tattoo does not alter ones personality, it enhances it.
  • Louise Bowers | 29 Mar 2012, 02:15 PM Agree 0
    Whilst we know that it would be wrong to discriminate on appearance, I would guess it is very much in place during the interview process. If you present to the company and meet expectations at interview then you should be good to go. In a way, when you sign your contract you commit to the company on the way you presented at interview and they have committed to accepting you as you presented. If they change the rules afterwards it may be unreasonable to expect an employee to comply - a bit like turning up to the interview in a business suit and then wearing your pyjamas to work once you are hired.
Post a reply