Human Capital forum is the place for positive industry interaction and welcomes your professional and informed opinion.

Novelty aprons leave senior execs facing disciplinary action

Notify me of new replies via email
HC Online | 30 Aug 2012, 12:00 AM Agree 0
This is one gag that may have been more at home at a buck’s party than a company business meeting. How can HR up-the-ante and stamp out inappropriate conduct?
  • Bernie Althofer | 30 Aug 2012, 03:01 PM Agree 0
    Really, not a lot of difference between the seriousness of that and giving a Harassment Referral Officer a coffee cup with the words "Guess how many donuts I can fit on ...." Despite all the strong messages and penalties being communicated, some people still think it is appropriate to push the boundaries. Some people forget that in this day and age where almost everyone is adept in the use of social media, incidents such as this can be broadcast to a wide audience before even the CEO is aware of the matter. This is another reason why educative processes have to incorporate currency of knowledge regarding Court, Commission and Tribunal decisions.
  • Denitza Genova | 31 Aug 2012, 10:26 AM Agree 0
    Without arguing the absolute necessity to abide by organisational and society accepted moral standards two questions always come to mind when reading about such cases.
    The first one is: "Is the extent of the follow-up actions undertaken commensurate with the severity of the case? And the second one: "Has anyone thought about doing a Cost-Benefit Analysis before undertaking the remedial actions? What is the cost to business of having to go to such extreme in order to sanction someone's behaviour? Just look at what Toll had to do: "conducted a thorough investigation” including interviewing witnesses and reviewed thousands of emails. “The extensive and comprehensive investigation concluded that the conduct of some staff breached Toll’s code of practice and was inconsistent with the high standards and values expected of the company,”...." counselling and disciplinary measures against the staff involved and will be providing additional training on appropriate workplace behaviour". So who do you think ends up paying this bill? If you just trace the value chain and look at the big picture you'll just see yourself in the mirror - in the increased prices we have to pay, in the lack of attentive customer service because of otherwise preoccupied and re-focused service providers, businesses generating significant losses, organisations reducing the number and creativity of their social events....
    Could this not have been dealt with traditional performance management means, having the tough conversation with the people in question and trying to keep things in perspective?
  • NN | 31 Aug 2012, 05:38 PM Agree 0
    I am just so happy I left TOLL (after many years of service). This a NOTHING compared to the harrasment experienced on a daily basis. Complains? They are buried somewhere not to reach the correct level. Their policies are not worth the piece of paper they are written on.
Post a reply