Human Capital forum is the place for positive industry interaction and welcomes your professional and informed opinion.

Noisy workplaces get the creative juices flowing

Notify me of new replies via email
HC Online | 16 Mar 2012, 12:01 AM Agree 0
New research indicates that if your workplace is too quiet you may be missing an essential ingredient of creativity and innovation: noise
  • Madeleine Baldissera | 23 Mar 2012, 02:58 PM Agree 0
    Does anyone remember what it's like to work in a quiet environment? There seems to be noise everywhere. It is a matter of the type of noise and the level. Office banter's fine, but jackhammers - uhhh! I often take my laptop to the cafe and type away oblivious to all those around me. Do love that environment and it does do something for one's creativity while indulging in a good cup of cofee. Might just head off for that cuppa now!
  • Felicity S Law, Business Director - Butterfly Impa | 29 Mar 2012, 02:26 PM Agree 0
    It really does depend on the type of work you're doing. When proof reading and writing is required, there is literally, nothing more damaging to productivity like ringing mobile phones (that keep ringing and ringing!), radios being left on, excessive banter etc. Studies have shown that it takes 20 minutes for your brain to return to the same level of concentration, prior to the disruption.
    Respecting your colleagues’ workspace goes a long way. Read Social Interruption and the Loss of Productivity .

Felicity Law, Business Director
Post a reply