Human Capital forum is the place for positive industry interaction and welcomes your professional and informed opinion.

No reinstatement for Big Mac eater

Notify me of new replies via email
HC Online | 13 Feb 2013, 12:00 AM Agree 0
A CSIRO worker has been denied his request for reinstatement, following his resignation after using a company car to go through a fast food drive-thru.
  • Peter | 13 Feb 2013, 04:26 PM Agree 0
    I am seriously happy that the workmates aren't mine. With mates like that you don't need enemies, or else they were seriously cheesed off with him for other reasons. This is bureaucracy gone mad. If he had stopped for petrol and bought a coffee and pie while there I assume it would have been OK. I don't think I would bother with the company car. Drive your own and claim mileage.
  • Karen | 13 Feb 2013, 06:09 PM Agree 0
    Unbelievable.. All that time money and drama for how much potential fringe benefits tax and after 10 years of service' .. Remind me of the benefits of creating that drama.. Oh none! Thought so
  • July | 14 Feb 2013, 09:03 AM Agree 0
    Been there, done that. If your not the CEO's buddy....look out for the redundancy package or the faults that they will find about you.....workmates like this you don't need them in your life !!!
  • Rach | 14 Feb 2013, 09:24 AM Agree 0
    Seriously, so what if he stopped for a burger? Maybe he was hungry? Maybe he forgot his lunch? Hardly a serious misdemeanor; a brief chat and reiteration as to why it's not ok should usually suffice. But for him to feel as though he had to resign, I can imagine that the internal investigation must have been a little intimidating...
    As far as FBT goes, couldn't this come under 'minor/infrequent' use? I'm assuming he didn't travel 100's of klms, there are McDonalds everywhere. Poor guy, he's probably better off not working for the CSIRO if they're so up-tight. How on earth can employees be creative if they get in trouble for such a minor thing?
  • Anthony | 14 Feb 2013, 07:07 PM Agree 0
    I'll remember to skip past any CSIRO job adverts...

Stories like that help one understand why militant unionism was the predominant work environment / ethic in Australian industry and commerce, until the early 1980's and shouldn't be condemned.

Employers and worse: fellow employees, can now practice this kind of harassment with impunity...
  • Christopher Gillis-Daley | 18 Feb 2013, 03:57 PM Agree 0
    Any employee who has to stop for a big mac while on a routine work trip obviously is either obese and/or has extreme self control issues. This was most likely just the latest in a long line of performance related issues which are unfortunately common place among workers who are above the healthy BMI range.

Lets not be too hasty in judging the CSIRO.
  • Irene | 19 Feb 2013, 04:06 PM Agree 0
    I was not aware that a link has been identified between performance related issues and workers who are above the healthy BMI range.
Post a reply