Human Capital forum is the place for positive industry interaction and welcomes your professional and informed opinion.

Nine-to-five days a form of ‘torture’, claims research

Notify me of new replies via email
HC Online | 14 Sep 2015, 08:35 AM Agree 0
The academic behind a new Oxford University study has called upon employers to alter working hours, declaring 9am starts as tantamount to ‘torture’.
  • Sheryl Grant | 14 Sep 2015, 11:16 AM Agree 0
    There is no doubt that academia helps businesses with insights and research into people performance, however, there is not always a practical application readily available. Consider the cost and impact of a time shift like this on awards/agreements/individual contracts in terms of impacts to work hours and rates of pay, not to mention the calculation rules in payroll and time capture systems that crunch those attendance times. Starting later and finishing later would have a myriad of other social impacts; what may suit our biorhythms may not be practical in the daily living of our lives and all those we interact with. Flex time is always an option, but in my experience I see this occurring to accommodate family commitments and not the need for different sleep times. It would be interesting to read this research paper to see if anything has been lost in translation in this article. To liken this to torture when we see daily atrocities in the media is beyond the pale.
  • | 14 Sep 2015, 11:24 AM Agree 0
    I fully agree, if this is first world 'torture' then so be it ! Let's get a grip folks, surely we are the blessed not the tortured to have a job in the first instance.
  • Clayton COok | 14 Sep 2015, 11:25 AM Agree 0
    got to love these academics :) the same ones that have been 'researching' chocolate, wine, coffee, etc for years. It's good for you..... no it's bad for you..... wait ..... new research says.......

I've love to start at 10am - because I stay up late. I've always been a late night person past midnight and find it hard to adapt. HOWEVER there are lots of people I know that are morning people and can't sleep past 5, 6, 7am if they try. And they like it - they go to sleep earlier of course. what about babies and young kids - most seem to sleep approx 7.30-9pm to 6/7am. Is there a study saying that having kids is tantamount to torture? wait a sec!
  • Tony | 14 Sep 2015, 01:13 PM Agree 0
    Codswallop! Wouldn't it be nice to only work 9-5. Some of us over 55 may want to start after 9am because we are starting to need more sleep not less. However, we are in "normal" jobs - working long hours not cosily starting after 9am. Some people are just not in the real world. Torture !!
  • Dale Robertson | 14 Sep 2015, 01:18 PM Agree 0
    And I am sure we would all be happy to have everything closed until 10.00am each day and not have access to
    emergency services, hospitals, doctors etc until they had a good sleep in! Fantastic, great idea!...not
  • kaye | 16 Sep 2015, 02:02 PM Agree 0
    i suspect re the 'torture' reference , he perhaps didn't fully explain that sleep deprivation is used as a torture mechanism - and certainly SAS troops are trained for and tested when deprived of sleep because it will be used as a form of torture.
  • GMT0:00 | 16 Sep 2015, 04:03 PM Agree 0
    Based on my own research, being over 55 doesn't make it easier to wake up in the morning.
  • KOD | 21 Sep 2015, 03:32 PM Agree 0
    So daylight saving will need to end immediately.
    Employees who work for the public transport groups cannot start until 10am so the rest of us will not be able to commence before 11am.
    Does this mean we have lunch immediately and not start work until 12noon or do we work for 5 hours and have lunch at 5pm - will this also impact our health.
    There was a time when workers would start at sun up and finish at sun down, in fact they did not even have a clock (an invention to support the industrial revolution).

Me thinks we have too many experts who make outlandish assumptions.
Post a reply