Human Capital forum is the place for positive industry interaction and welcomes your professional and informed opinion.

New tool for finding the right employee

Notify me of new replies via email
HC Online | 18 Nov 2013, 12:01 AM Agree 0
Having trouble deciding if your job candidate is top class or lazy? Soon, instead of turning to psychometric testing, you may be able to decipher their personality with the help of only 140 characters.
  • anonymous | 18 Nov 2013, 10:51 AM Agree 0
    Have recruiters gotten so lazy they now need computer programs and cheat sheets to do their jobs for them? What happened to picking up a phone and speaking with previous employers etc to determine the person suitability for the role? No wonder the recruitment sector has such a bad name now. Prospective candidates don't want to have their personalities profiled, they want a job!!!
  • Ann | 18 Nov 2013, 02:36 PM Agree 0
    I dont tweet, facebook, instragram, tinder, RSVP or anything else. How will recruiters find me because i choose to spend my time actually living my rather than telling everyone about waht i had for lunch or following other peoples thoughts and actions. Very strange and lazy proposition
  • Liam | 18 Nov 2013, 02:51 PM Agree 0
    I respectfully disagree. Recruitment is a lot more then just checking skills and abilities. Recruiters need to find a candidate with a good person-job and person-organisational fit. This is difficult to predict. I believe that any help in this area is benificial. It's hard for the applicat to get offered a position and then after 2 weeks realise that they're work style doesn't match the position or organisation.
  • L | 18 Nov 2013, 03:44 PM Agree 0
    Another generic box to be put in - all the people in the world can be put into 5 categories and that provides a wealth of information on which to make a screening decision. Excuse me for my cynicism.
  • Olimpia Mazza | 19 Nov 2013, 07:33 AM Agree 0
    This is essentially technology gone mad. Great categories by the way, with one of them a neurotic, I suppose they're out of the hiring equation. This cannot be serious, 140 tweets to identify your personality, and then be hired on that basis. There have been many discussions in these forums on the unprofessionalism, the sausage making approach to recruiting, so imagine what this will do to what is already a non humanistic approach to hiring.
  • Anonymous123 | 19 Nov 2013, 08:13 AM Agree 0
    Ann - There is a need for candidates to progress forward. It does not take much time to maintain social media sites about yourself.
    All of the following really should not require at minimum a few minutes a month.
    LinkedIn - When you update your resume, update your profile.
    Twitter - Professional twitter handle. You see an article that interests you and relates to your industry - tweet it once in a while.
    Facebook - I tend to think this should only be for personal use, however just ensure that your privacy settings are at the appropriate levels and even better just don't put questionable/inappropriate content on your page.
    Instagram - Unless you're in a creative industry, there is no reason to have this for anything other than personal use. Instagram is most used by people under the age of 30.

It's important to stay current in technology even if you aren't a fan. At least having that knowledge and comprehension is important. If it's taking you a long time to upkeep any one of the social media sites then you are likely doing it wrong or choosing to spend more time.
  • Wendy | 20 Nov 2013, 09:39 AM Agree 0
    As a Senior Recruiter [who does NOT use Twitter!] this article made me think '... only in America...!!'.

Professional, reputable and experienced Australian recruiters definitely don't need to examine candidates' Tweets to 'derive information about an individual' !!
  • Grant | 22 Nov 2013, 01:42 PM Agree 0
    I see no harm in it but please, only use it as one of the many methods of assessing whether or not that person is the right person for your job.
  • Kim | 19 Dec 2013, 11:15 AM Agree 0
    This is an online HR news magazine and THESE are the replies people are giving??

If their test is shown to correlate highly with already established and used personality tests but can do the same job quicker and easier then why not?!

In the case of a sales position or any position where extroversion is shown to be an established predictor of work performance then why not?

Concientiousness is shown to be the best personality measure for on-job performance so when combined with other measures like IQ (which one day may also be able to be predicted by your digital footprint) and other position-specific requirements - why not??

Anything that at the end of the day gives a better hire is better for the business AND the individual they hire.
Post a reply