Human Capital forum is the place for positive industry interaction and welcomes your professional and informed opinion.

New figures show disabled still not entering workforce

Notify me of new replies via email
HC Online | 08 Apr 2013, 12:00 AM Agree 0
The latest Australian Bureau of Statistics show that since the early 80s, the number of people receiving the disability pension has increased by 280%.
  • De Backman-Hoyle | 08 Apr 2013, 05:18 PM Agree 0
    It is so sad to see that we as a community have been unprepared to embrace those with disabilities as equal and worthy contributors to the Australian workforce.
    I think it comes down to a distressing fact that at the core we actively discriminate against those with disabilities and we dress it up with all types of illegitimate rationale and some how make ourselves feel self righteous in the process.
    As someone who advocates for those with both mental illnesses and disabilities I am ashamed, and quite frankly frustrated that we dont seem to cut through to the essence of the problem which is simply our obligation under human rights law to stop the discrimination.
    As someone with 30 years work history I do think it is getting worse not better, diversity was embraced more openly in some sectors in the 80's than it seems to be now, am I imagining such things? am I being sentimental for more gentle times? I dont know? all I know for certain is that we need to become active in the desire for change
Post a reply