Human Capital forum is the place for positive industry interaction and welcomes your professional and informed opinion.

New discrimination protections: what does it mean for you?

Notify me of new replies via email
HC Online | 06 Aug 2013, 12:01 AM Agree 0
With the introduction of new discrimination protections for LGBTI employees introduced last week, some HR managers may find they need to revise their policies and workplace cultures.
  • Linda | 06 Aug 2013, 02:26 PM Agree 0
    I would like to know how employers will know whether employees are in the LGBTI group? Are employees expected to inform their employer, is the employer expected to ask in an application form.... Not every LGBTI is obvious and not knowing could lead to further discrimination by assumptions?
  • Nikola Kovacs | 07 Aug 2013, 08:09 AM Agree 0
    It's a reasonable question to ask I guess Linda, but if everybody is just treated exactly equal, then it doesn't matter who is LGBTI and who isn't.

In other words, no discrimination will occur if everyone is treated, and assumed to be exactly equal.
  • Dawn Hough | 08 Aug 2013, 02:26 PM Agree 0
    LGBTI inclusion is an important pillar of diversity and inclusion practice but there is still a lack of understanding as to the HOW and/or WHY. Recent amendments are a good enough reason to look into this. If you would like more information on this, or see a list of organisations active in this space, please visit www.prideindiversity.com.au. Pride in Diversity is Australia's not-for-profit employer support program for LGBTI workplace inclusion.
Post a reply