HRD forum is the place for positive industry interaction and welcomes your professional and informed opinion.

New ACTU secretary has ‘no problem’ with breaking ‘unjust’ laws

Notify me of new replies via email
HC Online | 16 Mar 2017, 10:58 AM Agree 0
The new secretary of the ACTU has begun her new job with some controversial comments
  • OMG | 16 Mar 2017, 12:49 PM Agree 0
    Hopefully if this person has children she softens this approach of if you don't like the law, break it or they are going to be leading a hard life because of her attitude. There are a few people who feel the laws, of any kind, don't apply to them.

Someone needs to get serious about Unions who follow this line of thinking. it is the fault of the unions that Australia has priced itself out of the market and manufacturing is now done out of this country. Companies are forced to go overseas where labour costs don't cripple them. When will they learn if the boss isn't making a profit he won't be there and you won't have a job. Mind you having worked for a Union for many years I have seen first hand where the membership money goes and it isn't as one might expect all on members.
  • On the other hand | 20 Mar 2017, 10:08 PM Agree 0
    You appear to be deliberately misrepresenting what Ms McManus said in an effort to make her position sound as extreme as you can. I presume you are equally vehemently opposed to the law breaking of Martin Luther King and the civil rights movement, Mahatma Gandhi and the suffragettes, to name a just a few. All opposed, and broke, specific laws that they considered were unjust and immoral.

The main reason that manufacturing jobs have been decimated, here and in many other parts of the world, has been the rise of technology and the wholesale de-intensification of labour that accompanies it, not the cost of labour. In fact, there is very strong evidence that increasing the incomes of average citizens, rather than throwing money at corporations and the very wealthy and effectively exempting many of them from paying any tax, produces stronger, more vibrant economies. That is why the $15 movement in the US has led to economic improvements, not the decimation of the economy that was hysterically proclaimed by its opponents. Less wealth inequality, and the stronger trade unions that are almost always associated with it, are economic benefits, not impediments.

Finally, I presume you are also passionately opposed to the endemic law-breaking of business in Australia exemplified by, but by no means limited to, the wholesale exploitation, intimidation and under-payment of workers in the 7-Eleven and Caltex chains. Or the fact that one third of Australian workers are not currently receiving the superannuation payments from their employers to which they are legally entitled?
Post a reply