Human Capital forum is the place for positive industry interaction and welcomes your professional and informed opinion.

Myer liar found out: Why background checks matter

Notify me of new replies via email
HC Online | 26 Jun 2014, 11:17 AM Agree 0
Retail giant Myer was left red faced when it was revealed that a recently-hired senior executive had never worked for rival company Zara. HC looks at the importance of background checks.
  • Clem Wright | 26 Jun 2014, 12:20 PM Agree 0
    It sounds as though Quest Personnel is the Donald Duck of the recruitment industry ! To some extent it's understandable that smaller business can't afford to engage professional screeners each time they want to hire someone. However, for a large national enterprise seeking a senior executive to get duped in this way is mind boggling. Did Myer do any referee checks on Quest before they engaged them ?!
  • Jim | 26 Jun 2014, 03:37 PM Agree 0
    I'm a line manager and have begun conducting background checks after my last recruit lied about having a degree. She was at the end of the study for a degree ... but hadn't actually finished it. I'm currently recruiting for a replacement and will definitely background check my new potential recruit before a job offer is made.
  • Catherine Cahill | 29 Jun 2014, 10:34 AM Agree 0
    There is always someone who knows someone inside the industry or company your candidate has come from - this is the best way to verify the basics. Other than that, Public Company Annual Reports list key personnel. There should have been ways to find out that this person was a master Narcissist!
Post a reply