Human Capital forum is the place for positive industry interaction and welcomes your professional and informed opinion.

Most sickies are legit: new report

Notify me of new replies via email
HC Online | 28 Aug 2012, 12:00 AM Agree 0
If you raised your eyebrows last time an employee sent through an early morning email or text advising you of an illness, rest assured – they were probably telling the truth.
  • S.B. | 28 Aug 2012, 02:57 PM Agree 0
    Although there might be a real medical condition behind a short term sick leave, but whether it is necessary to be off work due to the medical condition is another issue. Having a back pain or shoulder pain does not necessarily mean that the person needs to stay off work for 1-2 days. It is very important to know what is the underlying cause of the short term sickies and is it legitimate to have time off work due to the medical condition?
  • Siobhan Harling | 03 Sep 2012, 01:06 PM Agree 0
    How is "non-genuine" sick leave defined? If someone has taken sick leave who is not actually sick, would they really admit it? I'm not convinved by DHS's statistics.
  • what | 03 Sep 2012, 03:00 PM Agree 0
    S.B who are you to make that decision? Do you really think a HR professional should be making the decision about how much time off a sick person needs over the directive of their doctor? Most ridiculous thing i've ever heard.
  • S.B. | 05 Sep 2012, 03:15 PM Agree 0
    What> that is exactly what I am saying. HR professionals can not make a decision on that. But being sick does not necessarily mean that the person should not be at work. Statistics show that most short term sick leaves for non specific complains are due to "not willing to go to work" rather than " not being able to work". A medically "non - genuine" sick leave is a sick leave provided by treating doctor on patients request based on non evidenced based criteria. In other words, the sickness may be genuine (or may not), but the sick leave might not be medically advisable. And of course HR professionals can question this in particular cases by referring the patient for an independent medical assessment. And by the way, no. I am not a HR person.
  • cb | 25 Mar 2014, 09:49 PM Agree 0
    Setting aside workers comp for a moment, there is australian case law that provides that the doctor's medical certificate is prima facie. The only thing to be determined is if it is genuine certificate(ie not a forgery). If its genuine, then thats the end of it. The courts recognise and respect the medical opinion.
Post a reply