Human Capital forum is the place for positive industry interaction and welcomes your professional and informed opinion.

Modern awards: the ‘cheapest option’ or ‘manipulation’?

Notify me of new replies via email
HC Online | 24 Aug 2015, 08:21 AM Agree 0
Debate around the Australian awards system has been rife recently, with some calling for the arrangement to be replaced with a deregulated labour market like New Zealand’s.
  • MM | 24 Aug 2015, 10:23 AM Agree 0
    I always wonder why it is the Award's fault that businesses don't know that they exist or know which one covers their business. Surely one of the obligations of running a business and employing people is to find out what you should pay your employees? It isn't like the information is hidden away or hard to find. That a business chooses not to do their due diligence is not an argument for dismantling the Award system.
  • Fred | 24 Aug 2015, 10:58 AM Agree 0
    Its BS to say the big end of town doesn't want change. Its large companies that have the most to lose by lobbying publicly for change because they're always attacked by unions and Labor for 'engaging in a race to the bottom'.
  • KOD | 27 Aug 2015, 12:51 PM Agree 0
    If anyone has recent experience with attempting to obtain approval for an Enterprise Agreement will have found how pedantic the FWC has become now that Vic is approving all EBA's. One would expect that if the EA included elements of the Modern Award that it would be acceptable. This is not the case and provisions in the FW Act in relation to termination, deductions and public holidays for example, is such that the employee can do what they like without fear of any penalty. Why have provisions that only apply to one party?
    Why not just have as NZ has basic NES based standards and leave the rest to the employees and employer.
    It is getting to the point where you need to be a lawyer simply to work in HR.
  • Blake | 01 Sep 2015, 01:38 AM Agree 0
    Its clear deregulation is the future. But doing so is political suicide. I wonder how the Kiwis pulled it off.
    • Blake | 07 Oct 2015, 12:39 PM Agree 0
      Someone probably lost their job for it.
Post a reply