Human Capital forum is the place for positive industry interaction and welcomes your professional and informed opinion.

Misunderstood Millenials: Are Gen Y really that bad?

Notify me of new replies via email
HC Online | 10 Oct 2013, 12:01 AM Agree 0
Every generation thinks the one that follows it is lazy, disrespectful and rude. So how many of the complaints laid against Gen Y are true?
  • Meg | 10 Oct 2013, 03:29 PM Agree 0
    I have always found it strange that Boomers and Gen X complain about Gen Y, as these two generations are the parents of Gen Y’er soooo….
  • Mike | 12 Oct 2013, 03:28 AM Agree 0
    This article is pointless. Gen Y. is the future of this world
  • Jen | 13 Oct 2013, 03:13 PM Agree 0
    Gen X are not the parents of gen Y. They are more likely siblings and often in the same friendship groups. I'm gen x and I'm 33. My 30 year old sister is gen y. There are specific dates for each generation. Look them up.
  • Judy | 14 Oct 2013, 03:43 PM Agree 0
    God help us Mike. With longevity these days, I think we might all contribute to the future of this world, not just Gen Y; thus bringing to play diversity of thoughts, ideas, values and principles. Viva diversity!
  • Liz | 18 Nov 2013, 02:06 PM Agree 0
    I am Gen Y and I feel like Boomers and Gen X still see us and treat us like children. It's hard legally being considered an adult but treated like a child in the workplace.
  • Dude | 27 Mar 2014, 08:02 AM Agree 0
    Gen Yers are missing out since they really just don't get how life works. They actually seriously think they are equals to those 10+ years older than they are. This is the fault of the crappy Boomer parents that have always indulged them their spoiled fantasies. Awesomely, the world at large is what it is and will flatten Gen Yers that don't learn fast to reject everything they think they know. The world is tough and most of them are ill-equipped to handle it. Gen Yers with penniless parents have no way of making it unless they snap out of the "I am special" mentality and understand rank and working to get somewhere etc. The others will continue to be spirituality seeking phonies that live off the works of their dead ancestors.
  • What | 27 Mar 2014, 01:01 PM Agree 0
    Dude, the world 'is what it is'? Oh dear, that simply isn't true.

The way 'things work' is a construct - it is based on someone's ideas. Capitalism, our working culture, etc. didn't just sprout out of nothingness, it was constructed and has always been evolving. If you can't loo beyond the last decade to see the changes that have happened in working culture, or even turn your attention outside of our own culture here in Australia, then that really is disappointing.

Living off the work of dead ancestors, indeed.
Post a reply