Human Capital forum is the place for positive industry interaction and welcomes your professional and informed opinion.

Minimum wage hike prompts job loss warning

Notify me of new replies via email
HC Online | 05 Jun 2014, 10:59 AM Agree 0
The Fair Work Commission’s decision to raise the minimum wage has employers predicting that jobs will have to be cut for businesses to survive.
  • Mark | 06 Jun 2014, 12:25 PM Agree 0
    People need to be paid a living wage. If businesses can't afford to pay people a reasonable wage, then they shouldn't be in business. It is not the role of our lowest paid workers to prop up unprofitable businesses or support greed of a few business owners.
  • Vera | 10 Jun 2014, 01:18 PM Agree 0
    That is stating the obvious Mark. But there are many people who work very long hours in their own small business, for very little profit - far less than they would receive if they were on wages/salary.

Yet they do go into business, they do have the entrepreneur spirit; and they do employ others. And without them, the employment pool would be far smaller.
  • Ken | 18 Jun 2014, 10:18 PM Agree 0
    From people I know in retail, the biggest issues are rent, rates and electricity costs, which go up regardless every year, while profits remain the same or decrease. The employees in these shops also have living costs which increase inexorably every year. So everyone but the really high income earners are just getting poorer every year in real terms. Something has to give. Australia has just become too expensive. So while the greedy landlords, local government and power companies get their annual increases, is the workers wage supposed to stay the same?

I'm a small business person myself. My office rent went up 40% last year and I have just had to lay off my one and only permanent employee. I'll probably outsource much of what he did to someone overseas, just like the big corporates are doing.
  • Jimboaus | 27 Jun 2014, 03:21 PM Agree 0
    Good to see how you think, Mark. It's obvious that you have not worked where your productivity mattered... of course the public service or politics would work for you where you can make rules but have no idea about their implications.
Post a reply