Human Capital forum is the place for positive industry interaction and welcomes your professional and informed opinion.

Melbourne Cup: Warnings of sexual harrassment and inappropriate behaviour

Notify me of new replies via email
HC Online | 04 Nov 2014, 08:28 AM Agree 0
Experts warn employers to be vigilant when it comes to inappropriate behaviour to avoid unwanted aftermath following celebrations for the Melbourne Cup.
  • Judy Apps | 04 Nov 2014, 12:51 PM Agree 0
    Point '2' - shouldn't all members of senior management remain sober?
  • Bernie Althofer | 04 Nov 2014, 01:00 PM Agree 0
    There is considerable pressure on managers and workers to participate in what is viewed as a 'traditional Australian event'.

Whilst some managers and workers might see this event as a 'one off' with some 'allowance' for rules to be broken or even stretched, the presence of various media outlets particularly on the track increase the potential for various behaviours to be recorded.

Organisations do have various 'rules' governing expected standards of behaviour and conduct and it is generally expected that managers and workers follow these rules on a day to day basis. The rules are generally not suspended for the Melbourne Cup.

Whilst the majority of managers and workers will not only do the right thing, and see that the right thing is done, they always need to be 'on guard' when someone else falls below the line.

The points made by Joydeep are valid and in my view, if implemented and followed at all times, the risk of adverse behaviours occurring can be substantially reduced. However, given the fear that some managers and workers have when it comes to stepping in and calling out bad behaviour, this might be the next frontier to be addressed. Calling out bad behaviour will for some be like throwing a wet blanket on 'celebrations' when in reality, everyone needs to understand why the bad behaviours are being called out.
  • HW | 04 Nov 2014, 01:43 PM Agree 0
    This whole thing is a minefield. Even if an employee's behaviour is supposed to be 'called out' by a (sober - I agree, Judy...) member of Management, or a colleague, it would be a brave person who tried that in the context of a party where precisely the objective is to 'have fun' - that is, to suspend the standards (and the power structures) that apply in the workplace the rest of the year. Who decides what behaviour to 'call out'? - and on what basis? I can imagine the responses...
  • I'm the Boss | 04 Nov 2014, 02:08 PM Agree 0
    What's wrong with getting slushed and grabbing the EA's backside after a few too many? It's an aussie tradition!
  • Bernie Althofer | 04 Nov 2014, 02:48 PM Agree 0
    It might be an 'aussie tradition' but that does not make it right.

I suppose there could be some bosses out there who don't see the problem until it happens to their partner or daughter (or maybe their son?.
Post a reply