Human Capital forum is the place for positive industry interaction and welcomes your professional and informed opinion.

Massive rise in work bullying claims

Notify me of new replies via email
HC Online | 08 Aug 2012, 12:00 AM Agree 0
Victim compensation claims for workplace bullying more than trebled over the past four years – it may be high-time to up the ante in workplace investigations.
  • Bernie Althofer | 09 Aug 2012, 02:05 PM Agree 0
    The 'sleeper' in the area of workplace bullying lies in those organisations where, despite the existence of policies and procedures, those being targeted seek advice and support externally, without formally reporting the behaviours according to their policy or procedures. In times when there is economic uncertainity about job security, when targets perceive that the 'alleged bullies' are either protected or rewarded, and resolution options appear to support the alleged bullies, workers go outside for advice, or simply don't report.

Given the complexities of issues involved, with a diverse range of workplace relations issues being involved, any workplace conflict (irrespective of size or apparent relevance) needs to be investigated. Individuals, be they directly or indirectly involved (target, alleged bullies or even witnesses/bystanders) need to be supported and encouraged to address the issue.

If all incidents were actually reported to organisations, then there may be a more accurate picture of the situation.
  • Marcus | 20 Oct 2012, 06:12 PM Agree 0
    I am about to release an employee who has been given more chances and warnings than required to dismiss him. His claims of bullying in other branches of the dompany have resulted in him being shifted to the branch I manage.
    The employee is aggressive, and disregards policies and procedures on a continual basis. He will be dismissed shortly, but it's almost certain he'll lodge a claim against me for 'bullying'.
    I've insisted we dismiss him, and take him head on in any claims made, but I still am apprehensive, knowing that the success of any claim, regardless of being true or false, will depend largely on how 'good' his legal representations are.
    It's right that workplace bullying is a problem that needs to be dealt with. The problem is that companies stand to lose a lot more by way of reputation, than the losses that might be incurred by a false claimant.
  • Concerned | 31 Mar 2013, 05:34 PM Agree 0
    Many firms don't support those that are or were bullied. I worked in two financial organisations in regulation. By protecting customers and doing my job, I was horrendously bullied. Others were also bullied with my managers taking 4 and 3 months off on stress leave. I was diagnosed with acute shock after being given a poor performance review, one that was inconsistent with comments made by my manager, who said she had nothing to do with the result. I was stabbed in the back for telling the truth and having integrity. I suffer Adrenal fatigue now and am unemployed after enduring another bullying experience at another company. My colleague and I were routinely yelled at in an open plan office. My manager was inconsistent and rude in her behaviour. Our complaints to HR went unheard. I have no faith in HR departments, their lack of integrity disappoints me. My colleague left the organisation and I was let go at the end of my probation period. I feel those who do the right thing are punished. Meanwhile others doing the wrong thing excel. I just know I will never do business with those organisations again. For clearly they lack morals and leadership. Unfortunately I believe many organisations are like this and if they lack people to stand up and tell the truth then they and their HR will continue to be toxic.
Post a reply