Human Capital forum is the place for positive industry interaction and welcomes your professional and informed opinion.

Male bosses: The chosen ones?

Notify me of new replies via email
HC Online | 13 Aug 2014, 11:18 AM Agree 0
It may sound like sexism, but a study shows that both male and female employees prefer to work for men.
  • Anne | 13 Aug 2014, 03:24 PM Agree 0
    I totally agree with the results. Men are better bosses by far
  • Erika | 13 Aug 2014, 04:44 PM Agree 0
    I think as with any human aspect it is dependent on the individual.
  • Dawn | 13 Aug 2014, 05:25 PM Agree 0
    Or could this still be the result of cultural bias that are so inherent I our society all genders fall prey to them? Males and females both bring different things to the leadership table.
  • Surya | 14 Aug 2014, 09:53 AM Agree 0
    All surveys have their bias by the way in which the questions are asked and it depends on who funds the survey. Let's be clear that no survey is ever free from bias and the question to ask is what results did the organisation conducting the survey want to prove? What a surprise that it turns out men are the better bosses.
  • Margaret White | 14 Aug 2014, 02:22 PM Agree 0
    I think there is some truth in each of the above comments but this is not the first time I have read survey results showing most people prefer male bosses. I think we women are doing ourselves a disservice if we reject them out of hand. After all, there is a definite overrepresentation of men at the top of most industry sectors. The reasons are complicated but we should at least consider whether one of them is our management style. Are there things we can learn from men about what makes a good boss?
  • Ima Male | 14 Aug 2014, 02:26 PM Agree 0
    Interesting that only women have commented
  • Paul | 14 Aug 2014, 04:03 PM Agree 0
    Thanks for that Anne ;)
  • HerLadyship | 15 Aug 2014, 11:12 AM Agree 0
    I read this article and it gives very little information about the survey, how many people were surveyed, how it was administered (random?), what was the quality of the questions, etc. Having constructed some psychological/work surveys and tests myself in both work & scholarly settings I am skeptical about the results of the survey, and also knowing that The Telegraph is well renowned for being a conservative broadsheet.
    Therefore I am very skeptical of what this survey found and article reported. It would be interesting to know if the results were the same if the survey was conducted in a professional and independent way.

My own feeling is that I have had both good and poor male bosses and the same for female bosses. I would never make such a sweeping conclusion. People are all different leaders depending on their own training and experience. My current manager is quite young, 27 years younger than me. She has been fantastic. Really inspiring and motivational. Not what I would have expected but I'm happy it's been an exceptional experience working with her.
  • Amanda Rochford | 15 Aug 2014, 11:54 AM Agree 0
    oh and it may sound like sexism because it is!
  • Jay Hedley | 20 Aug 2014, 11:42 AM Agree 0
    Given that there are far fewer women Leaders than men - particularly at the top of Western Corporations, it's not surprising that people prefer working for men. The pool of experience in working for female bosses is somewhat limited.

Here in Australia, companies have the lowest percentage of women in top executive roles compared to other countries with equivalent corporate structures.

There are currently some 12 female Directors in the ASX top 500 and two thirds of ASX 500 companies have no female executives at all.

Where do the female executives and directors that do exist getting their role models for Leadership from? Men. Hello!

A male myself, I find this perplexing.

But fear not, the age of feminine leadership is upon us - as our human world view develops, I am finding that I am not alone in my viewpoint.

Women will make far better leaders than men in the future, because they have access to more than just drive, ambition, planning and strategy.

They embrace care, responsibility, inclusiveness, collaboration and relationship.

These are some of the core principles of sustainability.

Women have got to stop aiming for equality - why would you aim so low?

Jay
  • Ima Male | 20 Aug 2014, 12:47 PM Agree 0
    Well put Jay Hedley
Post a reply