HRD forum is the place for positive industry interaction and welcomes your professional and informed opinion.

Majority of female staff have experienced gender-related inequality

Notify me of new replies via email
HC Online | 27 Oct 2016, 10:57 AM Agree 0
In the past five years more than half of Australian working women have experienced gender inequality
  • HR | 27 Oct 2016, 12:42 PM Agree 0
    Although I have been subject to gender equality throughout my entire working life that is not what I am responding to. I am responding to the proposed PPL changes and interested in the fact that there was no section provided for comment on this.

the changes to PPL, unless I am entirely misunderstanding what is being spoken about, are to stop double dipping. i.e. stopping women from claiming money from the government and from their employers under an employer PPL scheme. I would have thought that when the government put in this policy/benefit it should have been mandatory that it was only for people who were receiving no other money through an employer scheme and was quite surprised when I heard about double dipping. I liken that to expecting to claim pension/unemployment as well as being paid by an employer. Most companies don't have this 'benefit' and the government has stepped up to the plate and put into place something fair and equitable. Instead of saying this could effect mental health and so forth if they are blocked from double dipping, it should be looked at from the angle of being fortunate to have an employer scheme, and not want to take from both unless the employers scheme doesn't match the governments then they should be allowed to top up, although that scenario would be very few I would venture to say. That is my tax money going to support the government scheme and I am disappointed that anyone double dips in any circumstance not just PPL. Most private companies can't afford to have a scheme, and some just wouldn't want to in the present economy, as well has having to carry the cost of the person not being there for possibly two years. With people double dipping, it inhibits the government in any effort to put the PPL entitlement up. If a government has funds to put in the PPL scheme, then that is excellent however any other tax dollars from the government should go to pensioners who are living below the poverty line in my opinion.
  • Emily Wells | 28 Oct 2016, 02:18 AM Agree 0
    I am not surprised at the research results showing 52% of working Australian women indicated they have experienced some form of gender-related inequality whilst only 41% of working men believe they have witnessed inequality directed towards their female colleagues.

From my experience there are three reasons for the 11% gap:
    1. Some male workers still have mind-sets that female workers are fair game and/or their role should be the minor or repetitive tasks.
    2. There are still males in the workforce who feel that crass jokes and/or innuendoes is acceptable workplace behaviour.
    3. When they do miss that promotion some female workers like to put forward that the reason for their non-promotion was related to gender, rather than acknowledging their lack of skills, knowledge and experience on that occasion.

However overall I dislike these types of studies as, although they are beneficial in raising the awareness of the inequality that exists between males and females in the workplace, such studies fail to look at the inequalities that others face in the modern workplace.

Aboriginals, people with disabilities and those from a non-English speaking background experience greater inequity and prejudice. Additionally as a Transgender women, I can confirm that the inequity and prejudice the LGBT community face is of a far higher percentage than cited in this study. The truly sad part though is those workers that are male and female are equally guilty of imposing this injustice.

Adopting a Diversity Policy is a fair starting point, however to have a truly equal workplace, diversity has to be whole heartedly accepted, practiced consistently and truly embraced by management and all workers.
  • Janette | 31 Oct 2016, 04:36 PM Agree 0
    Sue absolutely agreed. And it took the place of the previous government baby bonus. So where this 'double dipping' idea has come from is beyond me.
Post a reply